anyone have google project fi?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
i was told a cell data rate would not count as a wifi call fyi.

so philippines wifi -> US: free
philippines cell data -> US: 12c/m
philippines cell voice -> US: 12c/m
When I was in Singapore last, I bought a prepaid SIM and popped it in my phone.

I was able to make calls to the US through Google Hangouts over the cell data connection for free, using the Hangouts Dialer.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
now that i've had some real world experience with this -

- after landing somewhere, it's started working in a minute or two after coming off airport mode.
- cell data in the philippines is rough. i was able to do most VOIP calls fine, from short status meetings to longer meetings, for free, although i was rarely primary talker.
- an evening catching up with a former coworker i had to do over regular cell.
- a coworker insists on using webex / shared video screen - i had to call over regular cell. i'm not sure how bad it actually was (he sounded fine to me.)
- in thailand now with better infrastructure, good so far, only been a few days but seems more reliable.
- in some countries apparently - like thailand - project fi is not allowed to do VOIP. like a phone carrier is not allowed to provide VOIP, which is what fi is here. so the workaround is to make a second google account, and switch to it in the hangouts dialer.
- on that note, the phone dialer will choose to make a VOIP call if you are on wifi and it thinks the signal is good enough. your hotspot and wifi indicator will show while dialing if a VOIP call is attempted.
- to force a VOIP call you have to download the hangouts dialer app. this is where you can switch to a second google account as well.
- the above is not particularly clear in the google FAQ. it also seems like something like the google pixel should come with the hangouts dialer installed by default.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I'm doing the AT&T prepaid plan....pay $300 ($25 a month) all up front for the year and you get unlimited talk/text and 8GB of data per month and it includes rollover data. Hard to beat that plan if you're using less than 8GB of data a month. Also switched my wife to this off of Project FI as it ends up being more for your money.

• Wow
Reactions: DEEZUZ

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I've had it about 3-4 years. As most said above data isn't cheap but I'm on WiFi all the time. Great when I travel and it says "Welcome to X Country" and it just kind of works. I can use WiFi when I travel for calls and its totally free.

Never have problems with coverage in the Chicagoland area but in some of the more rural areas up north it has been spotty. My bill is consistently around $60 a month and that includes the $15 a month for a phone. I usually use less than 2GB of data. What is nice is that I get a free Data SIM for my iPad that just uses my data. So when I travel I can use the iPad on Cellular and not have to have a separate plan all the time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info