Any Hyundai mechanics?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Wife has a 2013 Santa Fe (4cyl 2.4L) and a few months ago it randomly started to shut off on her while driving. Happened a few times then stopped for a few months and happened again and threw a CEL. p0108 (map sensor) so just to be safe I threw on a new map sensor. Also tossed some sea foam in the tank and some shell 93. 2 weeks later happened again a few more times. CEL light again with the same damn code.
Short of throwing parts at it not sure what else to do? Googled it a bit and 1 says fuel pump relay, tps sensor, or crank sensor...but I can’t see how any of these would throw the same code.
Truck has 85k miles and owned it since 30k miles. Had a k&n air filter on it for at least 30k miles on it now. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I had a 2015 Elantra with similar issues.

Mine progressed to consistently stalling at idle after warmed up (parked or sitting in traffic). I cleaned the throttle body and mass air. Stalling continued.

Took it to the dealership and showed it to their service writer and mechanic.

They handed the keys to a dealer demo and mine sat for approx 4 mos waiting on a new long block. Metal shavings.

Car had approx 38k miles on it.

New motor covered under warranty

Reactions: Aircal

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Wow, how does an engine get metal shavings in it?
Was that something left over from manufacturing, or is there some horrible design flaw with Hyundai engines?
They had a huge recall on their 2.0 or 2.4 engines. I believe they had debris left over from casting. I'm not sure if that applies here though

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Was outside for an hour today and the truck only started a few times. Start and die. Rinse repeat
Finally got it started and floored it up the driveway, went 1mph
Got it started and i was able to rev it to 4K, 2 seconds later won’t rev past 1500rpm
Has a p0605 ecm code now
Ugh

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
oh this is good. they said it's just a MAP sensor.... which I replaced a few weeks ago. They said you still need to clear codes and update the ECU.

ummm what? I understand it can still have a code without a CEL but why would it run fine for a few weeks then shit the bed. And updating an ECU to tell it there is a new MAP sensor makes no sense

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
oh so it's finally fixed....due to a bad map sensor...or so they say
I'm pretty sure I can unplug a map sensor and still have any other car start (run like shit but at least start)
now they want to charge me saying since I changed it before they need to pay their tech so I have to be charged.
well if you knew you were going to charge me and this wasn't a warranty issue you should of stated that ahead of time.

Reactions: RICH17

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
oh so it's finally fixed....due to a bad map sensor...or so they say
I'm pretty sure I can unplug a map sensor and still have any other car start (run like shit but at least start)
now they want to charge me saying since I changed it before they need to pay their tech so I have to be charged.
well if you knew you were going to charge me and this wasn't a warranty issue you should of stated that ahead of time.

Now that’s some serious bullshit right there.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
A million questions later
Who did you buy the warranty from? We will have to call them blah blah blah
I bought the warranty through fucking Hyundai....so I asked if their system shows it or do they have to dig for warranty info on a case by case and he said case by case... I call bs.
He also complained and tried to blame me telling me I never told him it had a warranty....well I told everyone on the phone (all 3 people) it had one and he was one of them. My wife also told them...so not my fault they didn't understand. Not my fault you didn't write it down
So he called back and said the "warranty company agreed to cover it" and then said it will be done tomorrow
so you found a bad sensor, called to tell me my car runs and that you want to charge me but it won't be done until tomorrow....? then he said oh well we need to make sure it's running ok and starts when it's cold and need test drive approval...sounding like he is making shit up at this point but ok whatever. If you want to keep it and drive it to make sure it works fine, great. But for fucks sake have your answers ready when I ask.
Then he said normally we don't have people change their own parts....well when the problem happens rarely why would I want my truck to sit there so you can't find the problem since you guys went off nothing more than an OBD2 scanner. Didn't check TPS voltages like I asked or anything.

They spent more time arguing with me than working on the car. Literally called me this morning at 9:15am and now it's 4pm and you finally fixed a map sensor which is 1 bolt and 1 wire clip. I did it in 5 minutes..
holy crap am I annoyed

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Should have put original sensor back in. Then they would have never known.
It was an OEM Hyundai sensor that I got from the same dealer. They only reason they knew is because they called my wife and said it was a map sensor and she said oh my husband just did that 2 weeks ago.
So now I have to see if they will approve the return on the other map since obviously it's bad....but I'm still not convinced so we will see

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Hyundai service has taken a real beating with all the engine recalls and it starting to show on the attitudes.
They probably put you off till morning because they need to collect monies from the warranty co before releasing. And driving it cold the next morning to check your work is not unusual. Best way to piss off a pissed off customer is to have the light pop right back on.....

Reactions: DEEZUZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info