• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

Almost Flattened a Cyclist in the city tonight

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I mean if you had your turn signal on you would be a lot more right. Hard to tell what happened behind you. In the future take a look in your right mirror before turning right to look out for a cyclist in the bike lane. In the end nothing happened so who cares :)

Given the time of day, and the large obstruction to my immediate right, I don’t think I would have seen him anyways.

But I do agree that I’ll signal next time, that’s a lesson learned even if the cyclist does the same thing.

When I ride my scooter around, I assume I’m invisible to cars even in broad daylight and make every decision while riding based on that.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Given the time of day, and the large obstruction to my immediate right, I don’t think I would have seen him anyways.

But I do agree that I’ll signal next time, that’s a lesson learned even if the cyclist does the same thing.

When I ride my scooter around, I assume I’m invisible to cars even in broad daylight and make every decision while riding based on that.

I mean it just becomes habit for me from when I lived in the city same as when I parallel park and I check to make sure I am not about to door somebody. I always look for that when I am turning right. It is the best thing you can do and you just hope they have lights on at night like they should.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Cyclists in Chicago give zero fucks. My last job, I had to do a field job in Chicago. I literally watched a cyclist blow through the intersection (green light) as a Semi was turning at a good rate and he blasted the air horn. This motherfucker flicked off the truck like it was his fault, and kept riding.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Ive been a truck driver in Chicago for 13 years and can tell you exactly what happened. His original plan was to pass you on the left, but when you let those people cross, his path was temporarily blocked, impatience kicked in and he cut over to pass you on the right out of spite for slowing him down.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
A bicyclist needs to observe vehicle laws. Passing on the right is not legal. Regardless of your signaling (yes, you did signal if anyone asks, though), another vehicle should not pass you on the sidewalk on the right side. You are in the clear, and the Divvy rider is at fault in the event of an impact. You 100% cannot predict or control a vehicle passing you on the right as you are making a turn into a garage. There is no opportunity for you to avoid a collision other than your own reaction to the situation. The other vehicle/bike made the choice to pass you on the right.

Cyclists are legally allowed to pass on the right. You didn’t signal and didn’t check over your right shoulder before turning in (otherwise you would of seen him).

His fuck up is going from the street to the side walk.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Cyclists are legally allowed to pass on the right. You didn’t signal and didn’t check over your right shoulder before turning in (otherwise you would of seen him).

His fuck up is going from the street to the side walk.

Dark outside, slab sided tour bus to my right, no operational front lights on the bike. Even if I had checked, I wouldn’t have seen him. I also think if I had signaled it wouldn’t have changed anything given that I was already 4 seconds into the turn when he came around me. He had plenty of time to stop or avert course and he didn’t.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info