đź’¬ OT AI Will Suck Up 500% More Power in UK in 10 Years, Grid CEO Says

Slashdot

Regular
Sep 8, 2023
Electricity demand from UK data centers will jump sixfold over the next 10 years as a boom in AI requires increased computing power, according to the head of National Grid. From a report: That will ramp up pressure on the country's electricity network, which must move vast quantities of renewable energy from as far away as Scottish wind farms to data centers around London. And it's a grid already under strain from the accelerating electrification of home heating, transportation and industries. "Future growth in foundational technologies like artificial intelligence and quantum computing will mean larger-scale, energy-intensive computing infrastructure," National Grid Chief Executive Officer John Pettigrew said Tuesday at a conference in Oxford. It's an outlook replicated in many other countries, which are grappling with how to fund the massive spending required to expand capacity. Global electricity demand from data centers, AI and cryptocurrencies may more than double over the next three years, according to International Energy Agency forecasts.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Continue reading...

• Haha
Reactions: radioguy6

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
lots of DCs are going up around here. But that's because IL generates more nuclear power than any other state.
That's a piece of it but it also has to do with the distribution of main stream telco lines.Chicago is an absolutely huge hub for backbones. It's really not one or the other, but rather both.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
350 is an absolutely insane building, I feel like it has been eclipsed in some ways by the facilities out in the burbs though. There's ones that in total capacity owned are rapidly creeping up on the square footage of 350 too.

What's funny is I wouldn't deal with most of the colos in 350 if given a choice where to put my gear; Quite frankly they just suck.

• Love

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
350 is an absolutely insane building, I feel like it has been eclipsed in some ways by the facilities out in the burbs though. There's ones that in total capacity owned are rapidly creeping up on the square footage of 350 too.

What's funny is I wouldn't deal with most of the colos in 350 if given a choice where to put my gear; Quite frankly they just suck.
350 is an absolute pile of shit.

That was in our portfolio, and my region....the guy who ran it couldn't wait to retire to get the fuck out of there.

They offered that to me, and I told them there wasn't enough money available for me to accept that role.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

yeah its been surpassed, but for a while was the world's largest. It is a beautiful building with historic architecture, the 8th floor cathedral ceilings are cool.

I also would not colo from there, can get much cheaper space in the burbs.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
The staffing for the individual colos was also poor quality typically. Equinex stands out overall in my mind, I don't know that I've ever seen a poorly staffed Equinex.

The Elk Grove Village facilities were all nicer. Done work on all 8 floors, and yeah the 8th floor is cool. Got lost in Equinex there a couple times, was always thankful I was never in it during a fire. Then again Equinex is weird in that they don't leave the lights on for people to se. Hated going to Qwest/Savvis/Centurylink/whatever they were calling themselves this week. Almost got banned once.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
The staffing for the individual colos was also poor quality typically. Equinex stands out overall in my mind, I don't know that I've ever seen a poorly staffed Equinex.

The Elk Grove Village facilities were all nicer. Done work on all 8 floors, and yeah the 8th floor is cool. Got lost in Equinex there a couple times, was always thankful I was never in it during a fire. Then again Equinex is weird in that they don't leave the lights on for people to se. Hated going to Qwest/Savvis/Centurylink/whatever they were calling themselves this week. Almost got banned once.

I dislike dealing with 350 security, its always a hassle. Badge issues or some other bs that only happens when SHTF. I loathe having to bring anything through their loading dock too.

Thread Info