Advice on these nylon hose ends. (Summit brand)

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Hey guys,

I bought some -12 braided nylon hose and ends from Summit and the installation didn't go as easily as I expected. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I guess that's why I'm here.
10.jpg

I know there's a lot of black to be able to see what's going on, but these are the two piece design and they both have a lot of space between their mates. The one side of the hose end (I'll call it the nut) screws left handed onto the hose. Then the fitting side piece threads into the open end of the nut while simultaneously wedging the hose into the nut and locking it in place. My question is regarding whether or not the two pieces are supposed to get closer to bottoming out. The pic below shows that they should not bottom out, but that super tight spec does not give me confidence that I've done it right. Mine have about a 1/4" of clearance. I tried lubing everything up with WD-40 before putting them together, but it didn't help much. This is also using a wrench on one side and the bench vice on the other. Thanks in advance!

Summit reccomendation.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I've done these before. It sounds like you may have inserted the hose in too deep.
That was my initial thought. I backed the hose out a little and ended up with this.

IMG_20200310_181343.jpg

Still not even close to bottomed but the hose is getting pushed out on one side.

I then remembered that the hose threads are reversed where the insert threads are normal. Threading the insert in should naturally pull the hose in tighter as you turn, so I sorta gave up on that theory.

The hose I'm using is quite a bit tougher than expected. It seems to me like the cone that's being forced through the ID of the hose just doesn't want to go in any further. Maybe a small amount of heat would soften it up? I don't like the idea of heating nylon though.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Do you use any sort of lubricant? It's so tight at this point that I'm about to strip the hex off.

I use Earl's fitting assembly lubricant. It seems like it's just a medium viscosity all purpose oil. I put it on the inside of the house, and also on the threads of the fitting.

You may have the hose too far into the nut. If you look inside of the nut, there should be a small shoulder inside that the hose end butts up against

-12 and larger usually suck to put together. I've found myself putting the hose side and nut in a vise and cranking the fitting down.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
No dice post boil. Here's an idea of how much force is needed.
Hose end fail 2.jpg

It certainly doesn't help that I have wire braided hose. I would not have bought it if I new that. This is wayyyy overkill for a crankcase vent. I'm pretty salty about ruining $40 worth of fittings and possibly $55 worth of hose.
Hose end fail 3.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I talked to a buddy. He recommended that I electrical tape the hose up where I want to cut so that it doesn't fray.

I asked "Does that really matter in terms of putting the hose ends together?" I honestly thought it was just for keeping the the braiding from looking like poop.

He just said "trust me" and he was right. Also, you cannot use enough lube. If it started to get stuck, I backed off a little and sprayed some more. The beat up fittings don't bother me too much other than that they're brand new. I just can't be too picky given the condition of the rest of the car. lol Thanks for the help guys. (y)
Driver side done 3-20.jpg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Always use tape when you cut. I use masking tape wrapped as tightly as I can. I cut on the taped part using a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder. Then just as I'm about to assemble the hose, I peel the tape off and try to quickly get the nut over the end before it has any chance to fray or spread open.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. Assembling hoses is more difficult than it seems it should be. It's an acquired skill for sure.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Always use tape when you cut. I use masking tape wrapped as tightly as I can. I cut on the taped part using a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder. Then just as I'm about to assemble the hose, I peel the tape off and try to quickly get the nut over the end before it has any chance to fray or spread open.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. Assembling hoses is more difficult than it seems it should be. It's an acquired skill for sure.
I went into this really cocky because I used to do plumbing every day at work. We had push-on stuff, Swagelok, Autoclave tools, and a full hydraulic hose cutting and crimping station. I've made a lot of these things, but these Summit fittings were a PITA! I'm sure you're right in that I'll get better as I practice more. I just found it wild at how tough it was.

Reactions: LikeABauce302
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info