• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical 2019 Cummins 68 trans upgrades

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
If you're seeing 210 constantly than I'd probably make a move to change or add something.

But if you see a spike in Temps say pulling a grade but then when you level off it drops(which it most certainly will) you're fine.

As for the bypass that doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I've never really heard of common tstat sticking problems

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ya but keeping it running.

Lol. You'll be fine.

Plus it's probably getting traded in in ~7 months ?

Nope keeping this truck. I love it. Stereo got upgraded too, all new Infinity speakers - it gets so loud that it hurts! Best of all, it stays CLEAR all the way up.

It's getting 23mpg, smooth ride, comfy, pulls all the toys, sounds great and seems really reliable. Just crossing over 35k miles.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yeah, it used to just flat run at 168* all the damn time. Didn’t matter what was going on.

Now, I can work it a bit harder and get the trans temps to come up. Also, I saw two times the trans temp come up into the 180s, which lead me to read around and seems that its common on these trans to create a lot of debris in the oil which specifically leads to the stupid thermostat STICKING CLOSED and forcing fluid flow to stay IN THE TRANS!

Thus, the big pan, thermo bypass, and new fluid approach. I hate the idea of a cooler only because I don’t like rubber transmission lines at all and I’m too cheap to fab up some proper lines to run an external aux cooler.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Yeah, it used to just flat run at 168* all the damn time. Didn’t matter what was going on.

Now, I can work it a bit harder and get the trans temps to come up. Also, I saw two times the trans temp come up into the 180s, which lead me to read around and seems that its common on these trans to create a lot of debris in the oil which specifically leads to the stupid thermostat STICKING CLOSED and forcing fluid flow to stay IN THE TRANS!

Thus, the big pan, thermo bypass, and new fluid approach. I hate the idea of a cooler only because I don’t like rubber transmission lines at all and I’m too cheap to fab up some proper lines to run an external aux cooler.
find a hydraulic shop.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
trade it in on a new one with a trans cooler.

giphy.gif

Reactions: J-LO
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info