NEW RIDE 2012 BMW 535xi

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I just picked this project up from insurance auction. I was looking for a damaged BMW but not frontal damage or rear damage because of the expense of sensors, airbags (if deployed) and in this case bumper covers so got this side hit with only 39k.

I try not to buy sight unseen but I couldn’t get out to inspect it but I told my transporter to reject it if it had any other damage but didn’t hear from him so I assumed it was good. He called when he dropped it off and said battery wasn’t dead which is another good sign. Now I won’t have to drive awhile to find what codes/issues were stored before accident.

I just had to wash off the dust from it sitting and pull auction sticker and haphazardly scrape off all the numbers they write on windows and I took a quick trip to check out the systems and to get the rust off rotors from sitting. Only thing else was all 4 tires were low on air but interesting the fronts and rears take different pressures.

After seeing damage I’m guessing my body guy will need a rear door and quarter panel to finish body but I’ll wait until he inspects before I order anything.

After the body work I plan on modding it very conservatively because I need a reliable DD. I had a 2009 535xi briefly years ago similar damage but even with only 67k it had the wastegate rattle and cats were going out and unless I was going to go full FBO with turbos it wasn’t worth the repair to me so I sold it. Since that first experience with a BMW I always said I wanted another and really wanted the 400hp twin turbo in the 550xi or X5 but read those engines can be problematic so settled on the N55 with the single turbo. There’s so much knowledge on this forum so I’m open to comments or suggestions.
IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2038.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Thanks I hadn't heard of Bootmod3 until now. I only heard of the Cobb, JB4 or MHD been off the scene I guess. After looking it up it sounds like a really good option for mild mods. I looked for a N55 this time but ironically it seems the N54 has higher power potential. I don't plan to go that wild though so I should be content.

As far as tune, can you just do bootmod3? I hear good things about them. Sorry that’s all I Got, nice pick up.
bootmod3 or jb4 would be good options if you're not gonna go crazy w/ it. Didnt know those came w/ the N55, nice!

Reactions: IDAFC21

Thread Info