🔧 BUILD 2011 Acura RL

General Information

My daughter will need a car to drive soon (just finished driving range) and I prefer AWD but don't think she is ready for a suv yet so found a 2011 Acura RL at Copart Elgin location. That vintage they are all AWD and I like Acura/Honda reliability. The listing stated front damage and from the pictures I thought the right side of the bumper was pushed in. It had 2 previous owners both maintained it at dealership. I don't have the time to check out cars that far north so I rolled the dice and took a chance.

Once my tow guy delivered I saw the bumper was fine it must have been the listing camera angle but saw the left side sitting low and the left front tire canted different than the other side and low on air. I realized then it had front suspension damage not body damage. I aired up the tire which had a badly damaged rim and drove it around to test everything and besides the suspension/alignment everything seemed good.

Trailered it out to my buddy shop and he looked and said prolly only bent tie rod and control arm. On my way home he called and said cracked engine cradle.

1688880265901.png

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
IMG_4612.JPG
IMG_4616.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG

So far will need a OEM rim, engine cradle and a lower control arm. The rim was $230 on EBay with free shipping, the cradle lists 2.3k at Acura but I’ll try a used one for $350 from Global Auto Recycler in Elgin (found on car-part.com) and LCA is $600 from Acura but Global supposed to have one for $50 they are locating. Their donor car has 93k so hopefully parts in decent condition. Anything used looking iffy I’ll go ahead and order from Acura.
Car prolly sat awhile so brake rotors corroded so bought a Powerstop pad/rotor kit from RockAuto for $300

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
IMG_0138.JPG

He got engine cradle and rack installed and put car components back together. He then took measurements of control arms and the driver side lower control arm wasn’t square with the chassis (1/4 off) so I got this aftermarket for $270 at local import shop (vs $170 Amazon) because I was in a rush. OEM was $640 and I wondered would I have to replace both since they’re aftermarket but was assured it’s a match to OEM. Once installed he took measurements and it was square so he got car aligned and test drove it.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Thread Info