2005 GT ?'s

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
My dad just bought a BONE-STOCK 2005 Yellow Mustang GT Vert (Auto) for him and mom to cruise around central IL in...

I really don't know much about these cars - so please give me the Cliff Notes on any issues and good mods and bad things to do to them.

Can't let him ride around in stock OEM "way to quiet trim" - so what should he do to her...keep in mind he is an Old-cheapazz-Fart who is NOT looking to drag or autoX race, but doesn't want a stock Mustang:cool2:

I should post this up in the WTB section - but if you have any parts or have seen some posted around please let me know!

I know for sure he needs a new Shaker 500 head unit - the buttons on the one in the car are all messed up (not sure how that happened)

Thanks - TimmaY :alcoholic

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Some of the 05-06's might have a little issue with the fuel pump, sometimes exiting the highway, the car will stutter a bit due to air bubbles forming around the pump. The fix is replace the pump with the latest part number part, or upgrade it a bit. My car had this happen just after I bought it with 6k on it, Ford took care of it for me. Also watch out for water leaks from the cowl area, there's a service bulletin on how to fix it if the carpet gets wet when washing the car or sitting out in the rain. I found a puddle of water in my passenger side footwell one day and had Ford fix it. Be careful when replacing spark plugs too, the plugs are 2-piece and can break off in the head, there's a TSB on how to deal with that too. Over the winter, I took my plugs loose and cleaned out the plug holes really good, put a light coating of anti-sieze on the section just below the threads, that helps keep the plugs from siezing to the head. Mine all came out pretty easily, if they come out hard, soak them with carb cleaner after loosening a quarter turn and let them sit.

These are pretty solid cars, just need to work a few bugs out of the early ones. :) The auto trans is a good solid trans too, but there isn't a dipstick tube, it needs to be filled from below. Depending on mileage, might be a good idea to have it flushed.

For exhaust, the M-5230-GTA mufflers from Ford Racing are a nice sounding choice, not too loud while cruising but wake up nicely when you drop the hammer, I have these on my car and love them. :D JLT 2 intake with a tuner makes a very nice power and torque improvement, and can also help get rid of throttle lag in the drive by wire system. The stock gears are 3.31. 3.73's will work very well with an auto trans after making a few adjustments with a tuner, very easy to do. Some guys have done 4.10 but it takes more fine tuning to make the auto trans shift properly with that steep of a gear.

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
I believe the GT500 mufflers are the same as a manual trans GT, which are just slightly louder than the auto trans cars. GT500 might have slightly larger tips too.

Forgot to mention, if they tint the windows, make sure to put some moleskin felt onto the inboard window weatherstrips, they are made of a much harder rubber and don't have any felt from the factory, will scratch the tint. The felt will prevent dirt from building up on the weatherstrips. I just did this to mine after having the windows done 35 all around. www.tintprotector.com is where I got my felt.

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Justin - thanks a ton for the plug and other info! I will send it to him tonight - if you run across those TSB/Ford Fix info feel free to PM me it.

Was the factory Auto a five speed? Couldn't remember if that was one of the big changes in the new cars???
I'm sure 3.73 or 3.55 gears would be a nice bump - just not sure if he would want to mess with getting that done (yet hahaha)

Any suggestions on where to find the best deals on parts (used or new)?

Funny about the exhaust - my Mom is the one that is always saying "I want the Loud pipes" lol ? what sounds better on these cars an X or H pipe and what about having the muffler before the axle vs after the axle?

skyhighsd - if you really don't want your set, I'm sure my dad would take them...have to assume they were designed for more flow from that SC 5.4L and they might sound good with an X or H pipe!

Totally agree that some black or black chrome rims would look real nice:headbang:

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
The auto trans is the 5R55S, a five speed automatic that is similar to what is used in the Lincoln Aviator but with some adjustments made inside to handle being in a performance car instead of a truck.

I have bought quite a few parts from American Muscle, they have a lot of the better known brands to choose from and decent prices. I have also found some nice deals from CJ Pony Parts or Summit Racing.

I think I have some TSB's saved that might come in handy, in PDF form. pm me your email and I'll be happy to send them. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info