đź‘‹ INTRO 2001 Monte Carlo SS Top-Swapped, Cammed, Intercooled 3800

eventsB

Jan 23, 2021
Florida
Hey guys, you might know me as Steven from the FB groups, I'm taking a break from FB for now so I was referred here by a friend.

I recently finished building my intercooler system for my top swapped Monte and got it up and running. This car has been an on and off project of mine since around 2017 and honestly is how I learned most of what I know. This latest intercooler build is no exception.

Not wanting to use a ZZP heat exchanger, I ended up using the VW radiator, it seemed easy enough to do from some pics I saw floating around of it installed in a Regal. Well when I finally got my hands on one and compared it against the Monte's core support and hood latch area I realized this was not going to fit without either modifying or removing the crash bar. I preferred to keep the crash bar for structural reasons, so my solution involved spacing the crash bar forward about 2 inches. In order to achieve this I had to buy a welder and basically teach myself how to weld from scratch. My welds leave a lot to be desired but I think it came out acceptable.

I also made a custom bracket for the T-fill, as well as the intercooler pump, which I have mounted at the smog pump location and reused the smog pump bolt holes and wiring harness. I literally just got it together and put the bumper back on the other day so there will likely be some kinks to finish working out and get tuned but I'm curious to see how it performs. Thanks for reading.

Engine specs:
L36 stock bottom end
INTENSE S1X cam
PAC 105# valve springs on L67 heads
Ported lower intake with post blower IAT
Gen 3 M90 3.4" pulley
Short stack intercooler, VW radiator, Flojet pump
SD headers, planning to switch to power logs
INTENSE Fenderwell intake kit

Transmission:
Impala police car trans cooler

Suspension:
KYB AGX struts w/ W-body store lowering springs
BMR lateral arms and trailing arms
GMPP sway bar front + rear
ZZP strut tower brace front + rear
MOOG problem solver lower control arm bushings

Brakes:
06+ Impala dual piston front calipers

49530567_639904683092594_3009856932929339392_n.jpg

PXL_20210228_200758252.jpg

PXL_20210220_194241880.jpg

PXL_20210220_194154041.jpg

PXL_20210127_013142345.jpg

eventsB

Jan 23, 2021
Florida
Smog pump? You mean the air injection pump? Holy crap that means that's got to be a California car. Does it have the Dual map sensors? one for exclusive barometric readings (no hose connected) n other to manifold

Yes, secondary air injection. Yes, the car did have the California emissions package originally, but the L36 engine only had one map sensor that I know of.

Welcome to TCG, and screw Facebook. You'll learn more here than you've ever learned from those groups.

Holy shit. I've heard of the VW radiator mod, but I've never actually seen it executed. That's massive! I'm happy to see that 3800s are 4/5 most recently bumped build threads. :bigthumb:

Thanks, and yeah screw Zuckerberg. Marketplace was nice though.

The scirocco plastic and aluminum radiator fit perfectly into the Riviera's and Park Avenues with minimal mods.
Learned that with the WhippledRiv.
We eventually managed to shove an entire small BMW Radiator in there after he deleted the air conditioning

Yeah, after I saw that H-body one and then the pic of the red Regal with it installed I thought it would be easy. But the Monte hood latch design just wouldn't allow it, and I don't think I could get away with modding just the hood latch itself. I dont care, other than taking a long time to complete, it was a good excuse to buy a welder.

Thread Info