• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

1972 Chevelle SS Fall-Winter 2011 Build

So my holley caught on fire today.

I went to move it around the drive way after I had gotten home from filling the car up with gas.

Was really hard starting. Gave it some gas and then it backfired up through the carb and WHOOOOSH.

Put the blazing inferno out with a hoze but now my windshield wiper motor housing is melted, throttle cable melted, throttle return spring deformed, one electric choke wire is fragged, and of course the air cleaner went to hell.

I put it out before the paint could get messed up on the top side of the hood though so thank god for small favors.

Anyone know why a Holley 670 would consistently have problems after the car had been refueled?

I'm getting tired of this motor and its constant problems.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I thought backfiring through the carb was a timing issue usually. Is it on a hill? If so I'm almost thinking leaking needle seat but I'm strictly guessing out my ass. Is it a VS carb? I have one laying around that I'd be willing to let you toss on the car and see if it behaved any better then subsequently hock to you if it did. :)

Took the carb off the car and cleaned all the soot and grime off of it.

We noticed that the accelerator pump was leaking so we replaced that.

We put it back on the car and when I stomped the pedal the car would backfire through the carb.

Got the timing light out and the engine has 35* timing which I think is pretty normal.

So we shortened the travel on the accelerator pump and that got rid of the backfire issue.

We still don't know why it has trouble starting after being refueled though.

Both times it has been fine right after leaving the gas station only to malfunction hours later after sitting outside for an hour or two.

I'm not sure if the heat has something to do with it.

Thread Info