YouTube 1. I had no idea Teslas weighed so much 2. Here is one going 10.4

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
c'mon, it's a pretty big stretch to compare rc cars to the car industry.

Not at all.

10 years ago Nitro was King. Today its a niche product.

The two area's of technology that enabled that to happen are battery technology, the motor/controller systems.

Full size is more about batteries and how to charge though. You solve those two problems and the EV gets a whole lot more inviting.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Not at all.

10 years ago Nitro was King. Today its a niche product.

The two area's of technology that enabled that to happen are battery technology, the motor/controller systems.

Full size is more about batteries and how to charge though. You solve those two problems and the EV gets a whole lot more inviting.

you have no meat sack to cool or heat in a car, charge time inconvenience is a lot more trivial, etc etc etc. you can't compare big boy toy market to regular auto market, everything about how they are used is different.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
you have no meat sack to cool or heat in a car, charge time inconvenience is a lot more trivial, etc etc etc. you can't compare big boy toy market to regular auto market, everything about how they are used is different.

the underlying problems are the same.

The RC Electric market is very similar in terms of technology bottlenecks that full size cars have. The smaller RC cars are the small steps, and the full size cars are the Giant leaps.

Its going to take longer for the ICE market to die down due to its much larger infrastructure footprint. But its going to happen. It is inevitable.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I will say the amount of research money thrown at finding alternatives to Lithium that can charge faster is at an all time high. With nearly every automotive company promising some form of electrification, every scientist/venture capitalist wants to bring that solution to them. I follow a lot of that stuff in my daily tech feeds. They will find something that charges in 5 minutes or less and can hold a greater charge. Hopefully, it weighs a whole lot less. They are doing a lot of this in labs right now.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I will say the amount of research money thrown at finding alternatives to Lithium that can charge faster is at an all time high. With nearly every automotive company promising some form of electrification, every scientist/venture capitalist wants to bring that solution to them. I follow a lot of that stuff in my daily tech feeds. They will find something that charges in 5 minutes or less and can hold a greater charge. Hopefully, it weighs a whole lot less. They are doing a lot of this in labs right now.

it may be, but people have been looking for a holy grail for batteries for a long time now. rewind to 15 years ago, would you imagine the most efficient cars being light or heavy? i was surprised until this thread how much a gutted tesla still weighed myself. and lithium is the lightest metal! if they come up with a new battery that's both more dense and charges more quickly, i can guarantee you that it's certainly not going to weigh any less. breakthroughs in labs and theoretical limits are also a long ways off from producing a product for commercial use as well. unfortunately for batteries, there is no silver bullet.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
When I get to my car after work today I’ll post a pic of my dash..... I think I’m going on 2300 miles so far this tank of gas in my volt and I’ve only used 2.8 gallons. All 2.8 was only because my battery goes for 43ish miles. If I had a Tesla or Bolt I would have no issues. 99.9% of the time I can go battery only to wherever I need.

All range/charging complaints are completely invalid and I am proof. Because I’m doing it on a small 40 mile range volt

If I had a bolt or Tesla I could go an entire week without charging if needed

/thread

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Actually just walked to the car now.

Pic of proof below. About 2 months of driving. Work everyday and we use the car to go everywhere on weekends

f538c4fd56bbfc5f9eed4eb5e023260e.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I guess it will come down to what you are using the car for normally.

Are you buying the hybrid for the potential 1 family trip you make take a year that’s over 350 miles where you absolutely can not wait to charge for 30 minutes.... or will you buy the car for what you use it for everyday 99% of the time?

It’s just the same as buying a huge fancy truck to tow a large camper. only to use it as a truck twice a year to tow said camper, the other 350 days a year it’s an over sized car

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
that is kind of my point for what is a good solution though. a hybrid car you never have to wait on, and primarily use electricity to get around. no change in your use or habits.

You're missing his point though. He's got just 43 miles of range and the car suits his needs 99.9% of the time. An all electric car with even just 150 miles of range would suit his needs. An all electric car with 250 miles of range would basically be no compromises. The only time he'd ever have an issue is on a road trip where if his car was all electric, a national charging system would/ will take care of him. So even with just 43 miles of all electric range there's basically been no requirement for change in his driving habits.

If anything is a stopgap it's hybrids. They add complication/ cost to the drivetrain by effectively giving you two of them. In theory the gas engine is taxed less because it isn't really used much but you still retain thousands of potential failure points. We're going to see fewer and fewer hybrids as all electric reaches parity with those setups.

But again, you keep bringing up battery technology/ efficiency as if we're not going to make the shift to electric drivetrains unless there's some sort of breakthrough and the breakthrough in your mind is battery chemistry when in actuality it doesn't need to be that. The breakthrough for now can be price and more than capacity/ efficiency, price has long been barrier to electric vehicles, not battery chemistry.

Likewise you keep mentioning advances in lithium ion batteries over the years but in the prime of those changes the problems they were solving were stability, capacity and footprint. Stability was solved long ago and capacity and footprint aren't an issue in most vehicles. The issue is price. So you have to consider the problems they're trying to solve with the technology as certain advances were being made and during the 90's that wasn't a consideration. It very much is now though which is why we're seeing a resurgence in price price drops.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Also, as an aside, and I don't think this is a solution because it's unnecessary but it will help bring some of the naysayers on board that like to build invisible barriers, companies like BMW are offering free rentals of gas vehicles for road trips.

Likewise, ask Tesla owners how many of them are inconvenienced by range. The answer is probably none. The same would apply to Bolt owners. These are things you spend a lot of time pondering before getting the car and then the worries are immediately put to rest when you actually start living with it.

This is an argument you specifically used to make. You used to say these are expensive cars for rich people that can afford other no compromise cars to use when they can't use their Tesla. My Tesla is our no compromise car. It's alternative is a BMW i3. I'm not rich. I have no backup and if you talk to owners of these cars you'll quickly discover all the imaginary boundaries you're throwing up up just don't pan out in real life or they happen with such infrequency that's people are willing to deal with infrequent pain to have a car that's overwhelmingly better in so many other ways.

For instance, I was telling someone the other day that I've caught myself eyeing A8's again but that I can't bring myself to buy one because I don't want the complications of the ICE drivetrain. Would it be nice not to have to charge when I go to San Francisco? Yeah, but I go so sparingly that it's just a non-issue. The rest of the benefits far outweigh the few times I'm inconvenienced by charging, not to mention that the new 100D can make that trip without charging and that charging times continue to get faster. So the problem is being attacked from both sides which means that I'm even more likely to buy another electric car when my lease is up in a year.

So despite my love of other ICE cars (535i, A8), I can't bring myself to justify the purchase as my main car. My much more expensive Tesla is faster, more reliable and pretty much at parity with both of those cars when you consider total cost of ownership over 5 years.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Also, as an aside, and I don't think this is a solution because it's unnecessary but it will help bring some of the naysayers on board that like to build invisible barriers, companies like BMW are offering free rentals of gas vehicles for road trips.

Likewise, ask Tesla owners how many of them are inconvenienced by range. The answer is probably none. The same would apply to Bolt owners. These are things you spend a lot of time pondering before getting the car and then the worries are immediately put to rest when you actually start living with it.

This is an argument you specifically used to make. You used to say these are expensive cars for rich people that can afford other no compromise cars to use when they can't use their Tesla. My Tesla is our no compromise car. It's alternative is a BMW i3. I'm not rich. I have no backup and if you talk to owners of these cars you'll quickly discover all the imaginary boundaries you're throwing up up just don't pan out in real life or they happen with such infrequency that's people are willing to deal with infrequent pain to have a car that's overwhelmingly better in so many other ways.

For instance, I was telling someone the other day that I've caught myself eyeing A8's again but that I can't bring myself to buy one because I don't want the complications of the ICE drivetrain. Would it be nice not to have to charge when I go to San Francisco? Yeah, but I go so sparingly that it's just a non-issue. The rest of the benefits far outweigh the few times I'm inconvenienced by charging, not to mention that the new 100D can make that trip without charging and that charging times continue to get faster. So the problem is being attacked from both sides which means that I'm even more likely to buy another electric car when my lease is up in a year.

So despite my love of other ICE cars (535i, A8), I can't bring myself to justify the purchase as my main car. My much more expensive Tesla is faster, more reliable and pretty much at parity with both of those cars when you consider total cost of ownership over 5 years.

one of few people, i personally know, who own's a tesla, runs out of charge frequently, and ditches the fucker wherever he ran out :rofl:

calls a cab/uber/whatever. gets to where he needs to go, leaves the car :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
one of few people, i personally know, who own's a tesla, runs out of charge frequently, and ditches the fucker wherever he ran out :rofl:

lol... He's the exception that proves the rule then. You have to be trying or really driving a fuckton of miles to consistently run out of charge in an S. Is he driving 200 miles a day and charging on 110? Because that's basically what you'd need to be doing.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm driving to Brainerd, MN next week and it would be an inconvenience to drive a EV that far (500 miles). I can easily go in my Infiniti and not have to wait for a charge.

I'll have to reply back to Mike K's novels above later :)

I made that exact point though. I'm the first one to admit that stopping to charge on a road trip is sometimes not a thing I'm excited to do but larger capacity batteries and quicker charging are going to eliminate that barrier for many people in the next couple years and for others like me I look at how much I travel, how much of an inconvenience charging really is and look at the other benefits of the car and even with today's charge network it's not worth me looking at an ICE car.

If the argument is that 1% of the time an ICE car has a distinct advantage and the other 99% of the time electric is better in pretty much every other respect, how good of an argument is that, even if you're right? And that 1% advantage is quickly evaporating as ranges increase and charging times decrease.

But even for those that consider that 1% usage a big inconvenience, there's enough people like me that don't care and our purchases will encourage future improvements/ development of technologies that are already here. We're not waiting for faster charge times; we're waiting for their rollout into a national network. It's important to make that distinction. Faster charge times aren't reliant on any shift in technology that's yet to arrive. They're here. So even if that would be a barrier to you purchasing, it is a barrier that soon won't exist.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You're missing his point though. He's got just 43 miles of range and the car suits his needs 99.9% of the time. An all electric car with even just 150 miles of range would suit his needs. An all electric car with 250 miles of range would basically be no compromises. The only time he'd ever have an issue is on a road trip where if his car was all electric, a national charging system would/ will take care of him. So even with just 43 miles of all electric range there's basically been no requirement for change in his driving habits.

this is one case, so i'm not sure how much we can draw from that, and even there is this gas usage dipped into once over this period, or a tiny bit a bunch of times? one would be more inconvenient than the other, but the point is, he hasn't been inconvenienced at al from it ever. and yes if he had more batteries he may not have used gas at all - but the batteries aren't free.

Likewise, ask Tesla owners how many of them are inconvenienced by range.

and similarly to the point above and one i've pointed out before - you've bought yourself out of the problem, which everyone can't afford to do - even with subsidy help. and i still find it ridiculous that these subsidies are going to the wealthiest people - i believe this is mostly truly with prius still but absolutely so with teslas. the proper way to encourage efficiency would be to punish the ineffciency of fuel, not pick electricity and reward whoever adds the most batteries.

If anything is a stopgap it's hybrids. They add complication/ cost to the drivetrain by effectively giving you two of them. In theory the gas engine is taxed less because it isn't really used much but you still retain thousands of potential failure points. We're going to see fewer and fewer hybrids as all electric reaches parity with those setups.

But again, you keep bringing up battery technology/ efficiency as if we're not going to make the shift to electric drivetrains unless there's some sort of breakthrough and the breakthrough in your mind is battery chemistry when in actuality it doesn't need to be that. The breakthrough for now can be price and more than capacity/ efficiency, price has long been barrier to electric vehicles, not battery chemistry.

it is price and convenience and i see them reach parity much further off than you. the only reason i bring up battery chemistry is to try and dispel these claims of transistor technology and moore's law - comparing these to phones or dvd players etc. they don't move like that, they can't move like that, stop thinking of them as that.

Likewise you keep mentioning advances in lithium ion batteries over the years but in the prime of those changes the problems they were solving were stability, capacity and footprint. Stability was solved long ago and capacity and footprint aren't an issue in most vehicles. The issue is price. So you have to consider the problems they're trying to solve with the technology as certain advances were being made and during the 90's that wasn't a consideration. It very much is now though which is why we're seeing a resurgence in price price drops.

you seem to be saying they were sacrificing a for b with research dollars and spending more dollars on b now gets you more b. but they've researched all aspects for a long time, and with chemistry and commercialization, they eat the low hanging fruit first and reach for incremental and challenging roi improvements in general after that. you say it like it's a given that more dollars get more results but the reality of this space is that a walk can turn into a jog but you bring in moore's law like a jog can turn into human flight.

you state this as if range anxiety is my issue when i think i've made it pretty clear that it is charging. i don't want any planned or unplanned stop longer than one i have to take now. note also that despite more people able to work remotely, their average daily commute has been increasing in time as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ay-than-its-ever-been/?utm_term=.5cbb308e8c18

you have some selection bias in only asking current owners about their inconvenience as they've presumably already figured out they'd be the least affected by it. i myself would be a good candidate - subtract the track car out of the equation, and i'm working on the couch most days and not traveling very far for anything. that doesn't mean joe 6 pack is nearly as good a candidate as today or tomorrow.

you are also living in a place with pretty gorgeous weather, right? it's not like having to blast the a/c on a hot day does you any favors in an EV, nor does trudging it through a chicago winter. how much range does the bolt get in the winter? how comfortable is it to be inside that thing on a 30 minute commute? etc.

This is an argument you specifically used to make. You used to say these are expensive cars for rich people that can afford other no compromise cars to use when they can't use their Tesla. My Tesla is our no compromise car. It's alternative is a BMW i3. I'm not rich.

how many tesla owners have a similar situation? and i submit to you that you may be living in a cali bubble in your peer comparison, you're not rich rich, but you're surely well into upper middle class and doing quite well. you're out in california hills, driving a tesla, and you're meeting who through your kids' school again ??

So the problem is being attacked from both sides which means that I'm even more likely to buy another electric car when my lease is up in a year.

if you're leasing the car, what do you even care about these 'problems'? that occasional oil change can't be much more of an inconvenience than the occasional long charge. and i'm sure the tesla is faster straight, don't tell me that pig handles like a 535i though!

would love for you/him to elaborate on this, sounds crazy, what's his deal??

Last edited:

zooomer

Sep 30, 2008
It sounds like the debate is not about one technology sucking or electrics never working out, seems more a debate of when electrics will become mainstream and displace ICE's.

Electric cars are an information technology at this point so growth is exponential. Intuitively minds think on linear scale so we believe that after many years of push, we have ~1% of vehicles sold electric so we're like 50 years away from significance. The problem is that in exponential terms, 1% is 1/2 way to complete. So literally when someone asks where we are in the timeline? We're half way to replacing ICE vehicles with electric.

10 years ago if you asked about why we don't have electric cars we'd hear:
1. No power
2. high cost
3. bad range
4. hard to charge
5. expensive to work on
6. crappy design
7. totally impractical for daily use
8. Crazy heavy (think lead acid)
9. Unsafe
10. Only last a few years (battery degradation)

currently we've eliminated most but still have 3 major issues.
1. cost
2. range
3. charge speed

Issues 2 & 3 only need one or the other solved. Issue 1 is a matter of predictable timeline but it will be solved as the electric has far fewer parts than the ICE. When it happens, and it will, adoption will be overwhelming and near immediate.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Sick, I'll respond to your post later tonight. I feel a bit like you're falling into some of the mental traps you accuse others of doing though. You seem to have drawn a conclusion and worked backwards when all the writing on the wall says that regardless of the barriers you're presenting, this is the way the industry is going.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
It sounds like the debate is not about one technology sucking or electrics never working out, seems more a debate of when electrics will become mainstream and displace ICE's.

Electric cars are an information technology at this point so growth is exponential. Intuitively minds think on linear scale so we believe that after many years of push, we have ~1% of vehicles sold electric so we're like 50 years away from significance. The problem is that in exponential terms, 1% is 1/2 way to complete. So literally when someone asks where we are in the timeline? We're half way to replacing ICE vehicles with electric.

10 years ago if you asked about why we don't have electric cars we'd hear:
1. No power
2. high cost
3. bad range
4. hard to charge
5. expensive to work on
6. crappy design
7. totally impractical for daily use
8. Crazy heavy (think lead acid)
9. Unsafe
10. Only last a few years (battery degradation)

currently we've eliminated most but still have 3 major issues.
1. cost
2. range
3. charge speed

Issues 2 & 3 only need one or the other solved. Issue 1 is a matter of predictable timeline but it will be solved as the electric has far fewer parts than the ICE. When it happens, and it will, adoption will be overwhelming and near immediate.

The GM EV1 was a sales failure, but later Gen 2 versions actually had decent range (150 miles), were under 3,000 lbs (light) and did 0-60 in a respectable 8 seconds....A lot of your 1-10 was solved in the 90's. Compare that to a modern day EV like the Leaf and it's pretty competitive.

So in the last 20 or so years there hasn't been a giant leap in fixing the three remaining issues.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
lol the EV1 wasn't sold at all. It was leased, mostly to people of influence, all of which loved it. The cars were repossessed and crushed by GM when they canceled the program. The car was always supply constrained and was never offered for public sale.

I could touch on the other statements you made but they're equally untrue. If you want to argue facts I'm all for it but if we're going to re-write history what's the point?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You seem to have drawn a conclusion and worked backwards when all the writing on the wall says that regardless of the barriers you're presenting, this is the way the industry is going.

It certainly is, but I think the contention point is that the ICE is on life support IE dead within the next few years. That's not the case and in my opinion it will take another decade or two for EV's to overtake ICE sales. I've seen projections that 40% of worldwide sales will be EV's by 2040 for example

Also, I will point out that the industry wasn't really going towards EV's as evidenced by their pivot. Regulations are forcing the industries hand, particularly the Paris Climate Accord vs. consumer demand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info