💬 OT 🧑‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The reality of needing to find childcare is starting to kick in. MIL is here for us until may. We need full time child care after that.

I don’t even know how we are going to afford full time for two kids.
We ended up finding an in home daycare for ours and it was less than half the price of the daycare we planned on originally using. We got recommended from a friend so we kinda lucked into it, but they're out there if you can find them.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
We ended up finding an in home daycare for ours and it was less than half the price of the daycare we planned on originally using. We got recommended from a friend so we kinda lucked into it, but they're out there if you can find them.

My good friends wife runs one out of her house. Has 5 kids plus their 5 year old daughter. She makes a killing, all cash. Takes them to the zoo, roller blading, they live on a 1/2 acre and have a play set, trampoline and stuff. Kids love going there. Get snack packs and all kinds of stuff from Sam’s club to feed them. She has a goooood thing going.

My wife will be going the SAHM route. I gave her the choice, and for now that’s what she wants. We’re going to be homeschooling as well until middle school-ish. At that point we will let the kid/s decide what they want to do.

Pissing in the wind at this point to think any of those plans are rock solid but that’s the thinking at least.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My good friends wife runs one out of her house. Has 5 kids plus their 5 year old daughter. She makes a killing, all cash. Takes them to the zoo, roller blading, they live on a 1/2 acre and have a play set, trampoline and stuff. Kids love going there. Get snack packs and all kinds of stuff from Sam’s club to feed them. She has a goooood thing going.

My wife will be going the SAHM route. I gave her the choice, and for now that’s what she wants. We’re going to be homeschooling as well until middle school-ish. At that point we will let the kid/s decide what they want to do.

Pissing in the wind at this point to think any of those plans are rock solid but that’s the thinking at least.
My MIL did that for probably 20yrs, all cash and she also made an absolute fucking killing. Just fed them and they played in her front or back yard.
It was basically word of mouth thru the neighborhood in the 90's and 2000's before everyone made a big fucking deal about being licensed. It was actually pretty common for stay at home moms in the city to do that back as far as the 80's from what I recall.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

Only plan on having the one child?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
My MIL did that for probably 20yrs, all cash and she also made an absolute fucking killing. Just fed them and they played in her front or back yard.
It was basically word of mouth thru the neighborhood in the 90's and 2000's before everyone made a big fucking deal about being licensed. It was actually pretty common for stay at home moms in the city to do that back as far as the 80's from what I recall.

Oh for sure, my grandma used to watch some of the neighbors kids. They owned a grocery store on the north side.

She went and got the licensing/certification, CPR and whatnot. It wasn’t that big of a deal. IDK if they have any insurance riders or anything like that but the parents have to sign a contract/liability waiver I know. Two of the kids she watches are actually a no longer active member on here’s kids.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The child’s pony needs some sass worked out of him. I’ve got 3 years lol.
1000002818.gif

God damn that thing is thicccc

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
At least you realize it’s pissing in the wind :rofl:. No child of mine was going to watch TV until they were much older. Here I sit watching a moon fall asleep on the screen to peaceful piano music.

Oh yah i completely agree. Hell the kid isn’t born yet and I trance’d out watching those dancing vegetables on the black screen a few nights ago

View attachment 195327
God damn that thing is thicccc

He’s fat as fuck 😂

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Full-time nanny here.
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Brutal as far as cost, but amazing because she’s the most reliable person I know - literally parks up the street before work everyday and arrives at the same time everyday — and she’s part of the family. Going on 3+ years now.
We looked into this and it's a lot. You basically have to become their employer and give them a w2 with benefits and cover half of employment taxes, etc. Doesn't make sense with just one kid, probably not even 2 IMO.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
We looked into this and it's a lot. You basically have to become their employer and give them a w2 with benefits and cover half of employment taxes, etc. Doesn't make sense with just one kid, probably not even 2 IMO.
And, instead of it getting cheaper like daycare as they get older, it gets more expensive because of raises!

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
This is exactly what we looked at after Owen, and our eventual kids. She goes back to work and makes 30-50k after taxes to pay 20-30k/yr in child care... or have her stay at home. This completely excludes ballers like Conrad where they make 500k net combined and her going back to work is a no brainer. :s00ls:

Not knocking you guys that do so, you just don't need dual income when you don't need dual income.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Anyone subscribe to Kiwi crate? Monthly STEM kits. We have both girls, 3 and 6, signed up and they love the projects each month. Some of the engineering involved in the kits is awesome.

For Christmas, they offered an advent calendar where each day you build a little part of a Christmas village.

And one of my favorites has been this hydraulic crawler that works off of a syringe with water.

Highly recommend.

https://www.kiwico.com/

I was looking into the crunch labs one for my kids.

Thread Info