đź’¬ OT đź§‘‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Also, I don't think I ever posted - 2nd one joined us 6 weeks early... After 3 weeks in the NICU, she just joined us at home on Wednesday.

Madelyn Jane born 5lb11oz - mean muggin' her sister already
PXL_20210520_015203708.MP.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
That’s what I’m hoping. My issue (that I left out) is the doctor recommended speech therapy if it continues. Bruh. He’s a fuckin toddler and has surpassed every other milestone. Let him figure it out.
I’m convinced a lot of it is due to the teachers wearing masks at daycare. How TF is a kid supposed to figure out how to talk when everybody she interacts with all day besides mom and dad have their mouths covered?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Anyone have tips or a method to get my 3 year old to poop on the toilet? He’s got peeing in the toilet down to maybe 1 actual accident (because he waits so long) a week but as far as pooping he won’t do it and wants to go to his “poop spot” so he can play with his toys and watch TV while he goes. We now turn the TV off (if it’s on) and don’t allow him to play with anything while he poops. Tried bribing him with new dinosaurs = nope. Sitting in the bathroom with him giving him a pep talk results in nothing. Not letting him go to his spot and making him go in the bathroom just results in horrid constipation. We’ve tried just about everything and nothing is working.

I’m running out of ideas. Any help?
Yeah ours won't shit on the toilet either, almost 3

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
my youngest is 18 months old and says only a handful of words as well. My wife does show her signs for words so she is doing that as well. She can say mama but I think she doesn’t cause she knows it drives my wife crazy. Just like she won’t give me a kiss goodnight but will say dada whenever she thinks I’m around.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
It's weird because he understands almost everything we say. He immediately figured out colors, for example his favorite color is orange. We say "go find the orange block" and he zips right to it. "Go find the purple block" boom, purple block. He's just still babbling. :rofl:
my youngest is 18 months old and says only a handful of words as well. My wife does show her signs for words so she is doing that as well. She can say mama but I think she doesn’t cause she knows it drives my wife crazy. Just like she won’t give me a kiss goodnight but will say dada whenever she thinks I’m around.
He clamors for me all day. Megan says he's constantly asking "dada?" Gets home? Hugs me then fucks off doing his own thing again until he goes to bed. :bowrofl: LET ME LOVE YOU

• Haha
Reactions: Fish

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
For any of you guys struggling with kids not talking a ton, at 18 months my daughter barely passed the test for amount of words said and by 2 she wouldn’t shut up. It was amazing that in just a few months she started saying soooo many more words.

Our doctor basically said comprehension is the main concern and we had no struggles with that.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
As my mother used to say “Maybe he just doesn’t have anything to say right now. Give it time and it’ll come, some kids are thinkers and some are talkers.” My son is off the charts on problem solving, does 100 piece puzzles that are smaller than a sheet of paper in about 10 minutes and from what his daycare teachers say he’s almost effortlessly doing things that kids a year or two ahead of him struggle with. Only thing he was slower on was talking (and shitting in the toilet now) but he didn’t really have to talk, my wife and I knew what he wanted and what he meant so we just took care of his needs. Once we stopped just doing it and made him communicate what he wanted he blossomed, add to it the big transitions of not having my mom babysit and being thrust into daycare and he was essentially forced into using his words. We were enabling him to not have to talk but when he wanted something and we wouldn’t give it to him until he at least tried to say what it was he realized that’s how to communicate and he’s been a chatterbox ever since. At 2 he had a monosyllabic vocabulary, at 2.5 he used bigger simple words and a few sentences, at 3.5 years old he’s saying dinosaur names like quetzalcoatlus and stygimoloch.

Repetition is key for learning speech. You’re eating pretzels and they want some? Instead of letting them just snatch a bunch hand one to them and say “Pretzel. If you want one you have to say pretzel!” and then EVERY TIME we handed him a pretzel we’d say the word and he’d try to repeat it. We literally did this with EVERYTHING he encountered or showed mild interest in, once he caught on he’d start saying whatever word he thought he could say. From there we started forming sentences “Can I have a pretzel, please?” and we wouldn’t give him a pretzel until he at least tried the sentence. It’s really tough to do and you have to realize that no matter how frustrated you are with their speech they are way more frustrated with it.

The trick is getting them to realize that grunts and single words don’t cut it anymore and it’s hard watching them get frustrated because they know what they want but they can’t tell you. If you can find something they really like and talk to them about it (like my son and dinosaurs) and have them repeat words after you say them their vocabulary will explode almost overnight.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We did magnetic locks on all the lower cabinets. She literally will hang off the knobs and they don’t pop open. they are great

Magnetic Cabinet Locks (12-Pack 2 Keys) Baby Proofing & Child Safety by Skyla Homes - The Safest, Quickest and Easiest Multi-Purpose 3M Adhesive Child Proof Latches, No Screws or Tools Needed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AW3XLBE/?tag=tcg21-20

got these installed this past weekend cuz that's where i'm at currently in life.

they are fucking LEGIT. huge fan of these. being able to disengage them entirely while im working in there is awesome.

Reactions: Stink Star

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
We’re in the transition phase from formula to purées/solids for our youngest. Last night my wife, 7-month old and 3.5-year-old daughter were walking down the stairs and the baby had a massive, banana-chunky spit up all over my eldest’s hair and wife’s clothes. The horrified look on kiddo’s spit-up-covered head was simultaneously sad and hilarious.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
He’s pissed on my wife a few times so we try to use those pee pee teepee things when we change him. She lifts him up and some poo comes out. I suggest closing the diaper back up instead of using a shit load of wipes to clean it as it comes out. She decides otherwise, lifts him up and and he absolutely soft serve ice creams the wall 12-18” away :rofl:

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
God I need to get these. I am tired of hearing banging of cabinets due to the 1 inch of give the standard child locks have. :rofl:

And my little punk was still able to get his arm through the door and grab stuff. Then he'd get his arm stuck because he refused to let go what he was able to grab.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Still have those sitting in my buy later cart on Amazon. We’re at the liquid shit spraying on the wall while we change him stage, and not at the getting into cabinets one yet :rofl:.
Fuck I must be lucky…. We had maybe 1 blowout in 19 months so far. And only one time did poo come out while changing her.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
He’s pissed on my wife a few times so we try to use those pee pee teepee things when we change him. She lifts him up and some poo comes out. I suggest closing the diaper back up instead of using a shit load of wipes to clean it as it comes out. She decides otherwise, lifts him up and and he absolutely soft serve ice creams the wall 12-18” away :rofl:

I know this isn’t helpful but I am so glad to be out of that phase :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: DanJ

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin

Pee pee teepees are USELESS! You’re trying to hit a wiggling target with a cone shaped piece of cloth that my son could pee blast right off of him. If you’re lucky enough to get the thing on them then you have to hold a pee soaked teepee on them as it gets more pee soaked along with your hand. Get a junk/cheap dish towel or the swaddle blankets they’ve outgrown and put it over your shoulder, when they start to spray just whip it down on top of them. As far as boys their piss for distance reaction seems to be open air activated. I learned the hard way to open the diaper, count to 3 and then put the diaper back over them. 80% of the time we’d open my sons diaper he’d try to piss on the dresser and wall 6 feet behind him within the first 5 seconds.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yeah, luckily I dont think we had many blow outs. Only once or twice did she want to poop while I was mid diaper change. :rofl:

Now to the other side, my oldest wanted to practice driving in a lot since she is still worried about streets. So I took her to where we did drivers ed class for Lake Park. Im pretty sure at least ktraver97ss ktraver97ss knows this place well.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
*snip*
Repetition is key for learning speech. You’re eating pretzels and they want some? Instead of letting them just snatch a bunch hand one to them and say “Pretzel. If you want one you have to say pretzel!” and then EVERY TIME we handed him a pretzel we’d say the word and he’d try to repeat it. We literally did this with EVERYTHING he encountered or showed mild interest in, once he caught on he’d start saying whatever word he thought he could say. From there we started forming sentences “Can I have a pretzel, please?” and we wouldn’t give him a pretzel until he at least tried the sentence. It’s really tough to do and you have to realize that no matter how frustrated you are with their speech they are way more frustrated with it.
*snip*
Don't know how I missed this but this is exactly Owen. We've been doing exactly that, repeating words until he tries to sound it out himself and then we congratulate him and give him whatever it is he wants. We've gotten him to say "Luyou" a couple times and Megan breaks down crying "It's soooo fucking adddddoooorrrraabbbbllllllleeeeeeeeeeee!"

He's definitely starting to talk now. I'm just impatient I guess. He's saying mama, dada, puppy, and obby (his stuffed sloth) with confidence now.

Fuck I must be lucky…. We had maybe 1 blowout in 19 months so far. And only one time did poo come out while changing her.
Same. He only had a couple BAD diapers that I can remember but no huge blowouts. Definitely pissed on us a couple times.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Someone else told us that open to air and close it back up truck. We’ve tried it a few times but he’s really sporadic with when he wants to pee spray. I’ve gotten to the point that I’ll just block it with my hand too. Not like it smells like cat piss or anything nasty like that.

Thread Info