🏍️ The Motorcycle Thread

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Wasn't able to get out and ride today since I decided to take advantage of the cooler weather later and host some friends at my place with a cookout/fire.

We should plan a ride for next weekend or the weekend after. I'd like to do a Brat Stop/Lake Geneva ride. I'd also like to do a Starved Rock ride where we can stop in Sheridan/Norway to hit the go cart track.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
No seat time for me today. Finally got a project done that has been 9 months in the waiting. Had to replace the trim around the top of my chimney. Went with PVC board so don't have to worry about any rot. Just splash some paint on it once a decade. Was up and down ladders alllllllll day.

Got some new grips to put on the cruiser tomorrow.

As for riding, I'm 50/50 on next weekend. Might head to KY to see my dad for Father's Day. Haven't been down since 3/22 due to the virus. If I go, at least I get some range time in. If I'm here, I'm down for something scenic. I'd avoid Starved Rock, that place will be a mad house and the traffic will be crazy. I intentionally have stayed away from it from years. Lake Geneva would be just as bad. However a scenic ride through the southern Moraine would be sweet. Further, but nicer. I'm trying to work something out now. Have some co-workers in that area that frequent those roads, so they're trying to put together a simplified route.

JL1_4362.JPG

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Wasn't able to get out and ride today since I decided to take advantage of the cooler weather later and host some friends at my place with a cookout/fire.

We should plan a ride for next weekend or the weekend after. I'd like to do a Brat Stop/Lake Geneva ride. I'd also like to do a Starved Rock ride where we can stop in Sheridan/Norway to hit the go cart track.

Cruising out to Cars and Coffee, leaving around 9

I'll bump that thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The g/f and I are in the middle of a loop now. Backroads to 64 (wasco) then west to IL 2 and north up the rock river to south end of Rockford. Cut across the river at the airport then will be taking back roads through Burlington back home. Stopped at Oak Ridge Forest Preserve to stretch.

Stopped on 2 to say hi to Chief Blackhawk.

BEF909B3-F39A-4C5B-A452-59FD9A0F007E.jpeg

don’t know why the selfie is rotated, lol
2487C167-3EAC-4F69-954D-A61D0938D7DB.jpeg

Reactions: 1MEANGT and Spivitz

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
I wrote a report and talked about the Blackhawk statue, I hope to make a trip out there 1 day to see it.

I got out for a small stretch, needed gas. The plan was to take a ride to The Toy Shop and talk about getting my wheels powdercoated... Of course the washing machine decided to act up and cost me that ride for today.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I wrote a report and talked about the Blackhawk statue, I hope to make a trip out there 1 day to see it.

I got out for a small stretch, needed gas. The plan was to take a ride to The Toy Shop and talk about getting my wheels powdercoated... Of course the washing machine decided to act up and cost me that ride for today.
It’s an easy ride, though north ave/64 is getting bumpy. The run up 2 is fairly smooth till you get north of Byron.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Here are a few pics from a dirt bike trip up to MI this past weekend. I took Dave b00sted b00sted up to Baldwin and we had a blast hitting the trails for 2 days.

View attachment 60456

View attachment 60457

View attachment 60458

View attachment 60459

View attachment 60460

View attachment 60461
More details? Like, where in MI, and places to stay? I have my 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 (4x4) I've been really wanting to take out and ride around. Looks like some meaty tire prints in some of the photos, so hoping they allow them up there? Although photo #3 might be a bit narrow for something with a 4' wide track, without damaging the edges.

Basically this (not my photo):
1592233427802.png

Reactions: Spivitz and 1MEANGT

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
More details? Like, where in MI, and places to stay? I have my 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 (4x4) I've been really wanting to take out and ride around. Looks like some meaty tire prints in some of the photos, so hoping they allow them up there? Although photo #3 might be a bit narrow for something with a 4' wide track, without damaging the edges.

Basically this (not my photo):
View attachment 60482

This is up in Baldwin, MI. Manistee National Forest. They have trails for everything up there. SxS's, quads, motorcycles. The single track is for motorcycle only but there is so much riding up there. You would love it! Riderplanet lists a lot of the systems. Or you can look on the MI DNR website at tails. I've been riding up there the last 4 years.

Lots of campgrounds, cabins, air bnb places to rent.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
This is up in Baldwin, MI. Manistee National Forest. They have trails for everything up there. SxS's, quads, motorcycles. The single track is for motorcycle only but there is so much riding up there. You would love it! Riderplanet lists a lot of the systems. Or you can look on the MI DNR website at tails. I've been riding up there the last 4 years.

Lots of campgrounds, cabins, air bnb places to rent.
Need any kind of trail stickers or registration? What kind of riding gear is required? For as silly as it seems, in the 15+ years I've been riding the mountain fire trails at my dad's in KY I have not once worn a helmet. But wear one on the motorcycles all the time, lol. Actually don't have a dirtbike/ATV helmet. Would hate to get my good street ones all caked in dust and mud.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Need any kind of trail stickers or registration? What kind of riding gear is required? For as silly as it seems, in the 15+ years I've been riding the mountain fire trails at my dad's in KY I have not once worn a helmet. But wear one on the motorcycles all the time, lol. Actually don't have a dirtbike/ATV helmet. Would hate to get my good street ones all caked in dust and mud.

You would need to get your trail permits. They are $36 and you also may need to get your DNR card which is $10. The Ace Hardware in Baldwin sells them all or I am sure you can get them online. I believe you need at least a helmet on the trails but I am not sure.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Cruising out to Cars and Coffee, leaving around 9

I'll bump that thread
Thanks for the invite, I didn't touch my bike this weekend sadly. Like I said, I had company over Saturday night and I went hard since I was at home. I was in the vack yard until around 4am. Didn't get out of bed until 2pm on Sunday, and that was just to go to the couch. I was in bad shape lol

Reactions: Spivitz

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
One of the tail systems which is mostly single track through the woods requires you to have a plated motorcycle for whatever reason. We were stopped taking a break, geared back up and about to leave when 2 sheriffs in trucks pulled up. About that same time like 6 other bikes came up on us too. They stopped us all to check our bikes. Mine is street legal, he was going over it with a fine tooth comb trying to get me on anything. Even checked to make sure I had DOT tires. Was kind of BS. Luckily I was good, Dave not so much.....lol

• Wow
Reactions: willsmysticcobra

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah and all 6 of those bikes were "non-compliant" for one reason or another as well. Then when we were loading up, at least 3-4 other non-plated bikes went riding passed the parking lot on the trail.

It's just a cash grab for that county. There's no logical explanation for why bolting a metal plate to my bike makes a difference, other than it's an easy way for Barney Fife to generate revenue from out-of-staters.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

Thread Info