I'm posting in here to get some advice.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I'd honestly like to get back on track. This is embarassing but I figure this is a great place to start. NO FLAMING, NO SHIT TALK.. this is actually pretty hard to sack up and post about.

Here's the problem. I'm 6'1, probably 460#~, would like to lose weight. In high school, I was the same height at around 265#, and was a lot happier with myself overall.

I know my problems :

1. Soda.
2. Late night eating.
3. Junk food
4. Improper portion sizes.
5. Not enough exercise.
6. Picky eater.
7. Get discouraged way too easily from putting together and keeping any sort of workout plan together.

Here's the little bit I actually know.. calorie intake is everything. The less, the better. I also recognize that the less fat calories taken in, the better as well.

That said, what should I start with? I had an account with LA Fitness that I closed a while back, because I honestly wasn't using it. I need to do something with myself, I am not comfortable like this and neither is my body. The other reason is that some days, I honestly have trouble dealing with the pain of an issue I have, which is an inflamed left hip joint. It won't go away unless I lose weight which will ease pressure.

So, I come here.. what do you guys suggest I start with?

Motivation to change is obviously the basis, I know I can't do something until I expect it of myself. Looking for some pointers to put something good together to work with and get myself back together, period. My goal in the very end would be at or around 300 (280-320) and I'd be VERY happy.

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
Honestly, don't take this the wrong way because of our other thread, BUT, you might wanna go see a doctor and weigh out the option of having you stomach stapled or lipo. Not trying to be a dick or anything, I have a cousin that used to weigh close to 500 and got her stomach stapled, excess skin removed and then repeated. She is now down to 200 range. I also have a friend in High School that was roughly your build and did the lipo route and the mofo is skinner than me!

EDIT: I hate misspelling words.....

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I wanna do it on my own without those kind of remedies if at all possible. I was doing good last year.. lost about 30, then fell into a fit of depression last summer.. came back out of it earlier this year and now I have the mindset to attack it. Just gotta figure out a good game plan.

Edit:also, don't worry about the other thread. I'm cool if you are.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Take it simple at first:
No more pop or sugary drinks. Just drink lots of water

Cut your portions in half.

This, and start walking. People tend to think running is what burns calories, but a simple 1mile walk/day will go a long way. Once you start dropping weight, you'll have your own motivation to go further by joining a gym and working out. It's not going to all come at once, so you have to stick with it. You need to make the promise to get healthy for YOU, not for anyone else. Also, the more times you lose/gain/lose/gain the harder it is to lose each and every time after that. You HAVE to stick with it. Life is life, no matter how bad you think you have it, someone has it even worse, and them some. Gaining weight because life beat you down isn't an excuse, you're in charge of you not anyone else.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:werd:

I almost always cook at home. Maybe every other week we'll eat out somewhere but it's never fast food.

I bet just by not snacking, just drinking water and cutting your portion sizes you'll start seeing some progress pretty quickly.

As for exercising I'd say do what you can. I'm assuming walking/running would be painful if you've got hip issues. Get on your bike and bust out a few miles on nice days. It's supposed to be in the 50's and sunny this week which is perfect bike weather.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I also saw in the pets thread that you have a dog. Take it for as long of walks as you can. I take my German Shepherd for a walk or even rollerblading every day. That way we both get excersize and enjoyment at the same time. Plust having a dog, you meet a lot of people, especially if you go on a path.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Lots of good advice here. You really need to realize that if you don't start losing weight that you're going to have some serious health problems, beyond pain in your joints. Now while your young is the best time to get back into a healthy range.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
if you think you can handle it, low carb it. cyclic ketogenic diet.
meat cheese and eggs with a slight carb up on the weekend ( and no not eating a package of cookies for breakfast ).

you can do this for 6 week and take at least 2 weeks off ( you dont want thyroid problems ).

eat 6-8 meals a day. a couple spoons of natural PB can be considered a meal. a piece of fruit or a can of tuna.

any form of physical activity would be a good start. it can be done, you just need to have the motivation and determination to get it done. when changing your diet, the 1st 2 weeks are difficult but after that you get used to it.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Tons of great advice in here. From your first post it sounds like you have narrowed down all your down faults. Next step is to attach each one. Don't go way over your head all at once. Take is slow and stead. Listen to what people are saying in here. Physical activity is going to be a must. If you can get a friend to join you in work out that will help you out tons. One it makes the workouts better and two you will get great motivation from a workout partner.

Good luck.

Jizzums

sweetest bitch
Nov 12, 2007
Warrenville
Real Name
Jamie
This, and start walking. People tend to think running is what burns calories, but a simple 1mile walk/day will go a long way. Once you start dropping weight, you'll have your own motivation to go further by joining a gym and working out. It's not going to all come at once, so you have to stick with it. You need to make the promise to get healthy for YOU, not for anyone else. Also, the more times you lose/gain/lose/gain the harder it is to lose each and every time after that. You HAVE to stick with it. Life is life, no matter how bad you think you have it, someone has it even worse, and them some. Gaining weight because life beat you down isn't an excuse, you're in charge of you not anyone else.

:werd:

And one that is a lot of times overlooked.. Watch your sodium. It helps.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
its not all about calories either, its what MAKES up those calories. calories of sugar even if they are only 100 is still sugar. you could eat twice to three times as much of healthier food and still be only at 100 calories.

diet is #1 period. and the amount you eat a day has to be 6-8 times, usually eat something about the size of your palm every couple hours, just make sure its not bad food.

youll wanna stick with a high protein, low fat, low carb diet. consume at least 150-200g of protein/day to keep your muscle mass to help burn fat faster. muscle burns fat alot faster then fat and you dont want to lose it while your losing weight.

the best advice ive had when it comes to sweet food is to pick up Syntha-6 protein powder. it not only has all the proteins (slow,mid,fast digesting) but it also doubles as a meal replacement since 1 scoop is 200 calories. take one within 30 mins of waking up and going to bed. this way it will jumpstart your metabolism in the morning, and allow you to digest throughout the whole night. plus they taste like milkshakes so you feel like your getting something bad but its actually good (people swear by the cookies and cream, personally i like the chocolate shake) its even good with just water!

i do 2 scoops with 1 scoop of whey protein first in the morning. it gives me about 500 calories but also 70g of protein and im usually hungry in a couple hrs to eat breakfast food. Egg whites, vegetables, fish, and chicken will be your best friends so get used to them lol.

and also like they said. water only (can add some flavor with those flavor packs, just dont use them all the time) and lower sodium is good to.

divasixstar

TCG Elite Member
Jan 27, 2007
Elk Grove Village
different diets work differently for different people...

ill second everyone else and say soda is a HUGE help. Guys tend to lose weight faster, too, so just start walking more.. whenever you find yourself sitting in front of the tv, just get up and go outside and walk, if you have a dog this makes it easier, plus the pet will love you for those long walks. haha my mom lost about 50 lbs just walking the dog all the time. if she can do it, anyone can do it.

also, don't start heavy, you'll burn yourself out and want to quit right away. slowly ease into a routine, losing weight takes time and patience.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
there are better calories and worse ones but yeah this definitely sounds like a volume problem. start writing down what you eat and keeping track of the number of calories and being cognizant of this should help... you will start to find out meals that are filling but cost you less in calories as well.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
You don't have to answer this, but are you on any sort of anti-depressant? I know some of those cause appetite increases and/or weight gain... If so, I've hear of it being paired with the ADHD drug helps to counteract the weight gain/appetite..

I dunno, Turk would though...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info