Uber/Lyft is it worth it?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I looked and didn't see any dedicated threads and I know I've seen people here post they do it.

Just curious if it's worth it? How many "runs" do you need to make to make it worth your while (weekly/monthly)? Is it enough to make it a decent spare revenue stream?

A co-worker and I were talking about it and he said he was going to do it on weekends and what not for some spare cash.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
That's one of the things my Wife frets over. Like that guy killed last year by that coked up broad.

The problem is, I would need to get something newer/nicer. The Suburban is too old, the old van is a P.O.S. literally rusting apart as I look at it.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
I wouldn't be worried about the getting attacked. Every passenger that gets in your vehicle has a credit card on file and their information on Uber/Lift's database, so they know who was in your vehicle. It's purely the insurance thing. You will get a LOT of drunks and idiots who have no respect for your property.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Both of my brothers do it for side cash.
1 here locally and the other is in the Army and stationed in Kentucky (Ft Knox).
Both say if you go out Friday and Saturday nights you can make $400+ total for both nights. Neither has had any assholes or anyone throw up in their vehicles. Both have some awesome stories. Thought about doing it in the wifeys Cherokee on the weekends to see how it goes.

Edit: Not sure how many runs they make, but they both are out on the weekends from like 7pm-2am.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
the drivers I've talked to say they do it to get out the house and meet new friends....then they say the Pay is ok. Some complain about how they had a unexpected Tax bill at the EOY

Yep, you still have to declare everything you make, it's all on record with Uber/Lift, so i wouldnt risk that shit. The government will stick their dick in you and break it off.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

The lady across the street from my shop lost her business recently and she tried it.
She lost her ass because out here it's very inconsistent, and mostly cheap, ungrateful kids!!!

Personally I think it's completely BS and should be illegal.
They charge the taxi guys huge fee's for a license, regulate every nickle they charge and then let any POS illegal alien start driving uber???
You can't have it both ways, you want us to have drive sharing available, than don't hold taxi guys hostage.

Thirty-nine-year-old Alarcon-Nunez, an Uber driver living in the sanctuary state of California illegally (he is from Mexico), is alleged to have raped four college students between the ages of 19 and 22 while they were intoxicated. The total of ten criminal charges include forcible rape, first degree burglary (he is accused of robbing his victims), and rape of an intoxicated victim.

Alarcon-Nunez was already deported once, from New Mexico back in 2005.

The alleged crimes occurred between December 17, 2017, and January 14 of this year. The suspect, who also goes by the name Bruno Diaz, was arrested at his home in Santa Maria, California on January 17.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

The lady across the street from my shop lost her business recently and she tried it.
She lost her ass because out here it's very inconsistent, and mostly cheap, ungrateful kids!!!

Personally I think it's completely BS and should be illegal.
They charge the taxi guys huge fee's for a license, regulate every nickle they charge and then let any POS illegal alien start driving uber???
You can't have it both ways, you want us to have drive sharing available, than don't hold taxi guys hostage.

Thirty-nine-year-old Alarcon-Nunez, an Uber driver living in the sanctuary state of California illegally (he is from Mexico), is alleged to have raped four college students between the ages of 19 and 22 while they were intoxicated. The total of ten criminal charges include forcible rape, first degree burglary (he is accused of robbing his victims), and rape of an intoxicated victim.

Alarcon-Nunez was already deported once, from New Mexico back in 2005.

The alleged crimes occurred between December 17, 2017, and January 14 of this year. The suspect, who also goes by the name Bruno Diaz, was arrested at his home in Santa Maria, California on January 17.

So wait, Mr old school anti-government wants to make it illegal for one consenting adult to give another consenting adult a ride somewhere? lol.

Anyhow, I'd venture a guess that most current Uber drivers are ex taxi drivers. That's why they're all so rude now.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
So wait, Mr old school anti-government wants to make it illegal for one consenting adult to give another consenting adult a ride somewhere? lol.

Anyhow, I'd venture a guess that most current Uber drivers are ex taxi drivers. That's why they're all so rude now.

To play the devils advocate, from a legal standpoint, a drunk can't consent to anything. Uber is notorious for giving drunk people a ride home. Thats one of the reasons why the company was founded. When you have drivers who are taking advantage of those drunk people, im sure in many ways, that poses even more serious legal issues.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
To play the devils advocate, from a legal standpoint, a drunk can't consent to anything. Uber is notorious for giving drunk people a ride home. Thats one of the reasons why the company was founded. When you have drivers who are taking advantage of those drunk people, im sure in many ways, that poses even more serious legal issues.

What's the difference between a drunk consenting to take a ride with a sober person willing to give it to them and consenting to take a ride with a taxi driver? I don't see any difference other than the state has given one some sort of arbitrary badge of approval.

You would think captain free market (not you) would be all for the market deciding what the better service is and voting with their wallets. And they have.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
What's the difference between a drunk consenting to take a ride with a sober person willing to give it to them and consenting to take a ride with a taxi driver? I don't see any difference other than the state has given one some sort of arbitrary badge of approval.
Insurance... Cabs are licensed and insured by their own company for liability. Uber/lyft drivers aren't. You, who are technically self employing yourself, will literally be fucked if anything happens to a passenger in your car. The company won't help you out, they assume no responsibility. All they are is a broker technically, hooking one party up with another.

You would think captain free market (not you) would be all for the market deciding what the better service is and voting with their wallets. And they have.

I agree with this 100%, but i'm just bringing to attention real world scenarios/possibilities here, from a legal standpoint.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Learn to read.
You can't choke the life out of an entire industry that is regulated to death, and than let others do the same job without the insane restrictions!!!
It should be consistent & equal footing.
If a gypsy cab guy can be arrested, how in the hell did uber get away with doing exactly the same thing they were doing??

I have no problem with uber, taxi's, but they should be treated equally.
I also understand why taxi's are regulated so insanely, because they did it to them self by ripping people off, using POS vehicles, using POS employees, victimizing drunken morons etc etc.
I'm the guy that thinks damn near everything should be legal that doesn't hurt yourself or others.
You want to be a hooker, not our business, go for it.
You want to be a witch doctor, not our business.
You want to be a physic, not our business.
You want to be a fake man of god, not our business.
If you can find customers, even if we think they are fools, it's not our business.

Where in the hell did I ever say I was anti government, I am anti welfare state, liberal leech agenda.
If I was anti government, I wouldn't have enlisted to serve my country, TWICE.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I drover for Uber for about 5 months a year ago on Friday and Saturday nights in the Plainfield and Naperville area. I made about $50 to $100 per night while working 4-5 hours before expenses (time, mileage, fuel). Kinda fun, mostly boring, not enough pay to justify the hassle in the end. Seemed like there were more Uber drivers than riders when I would check out the apps from both sides in order to try to get in areas where I would have less competition from other Uber drivers.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Insurance... Cabs are licensed and insured by their own company for liability. Uber/lyft drivers aren't. You, who are technically self employing yourself, will literally be fucked if anything happens to a passenger in your car. The company won't help you out, they assume no responsibility. All they are is a broker technically, hooking one party up with another.

Actually they're covered by a 1 million dollar policy while transporting passengers. I wasn't aware of that. My Uber driver told me today:

https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

Learn to read.
You can't choke the life out of an entire industry that is regulated to death, and than let others do the same job without the insane restrictions!!!

They're the same industry. If anything I would think you'd applaud the workaround to the big bad government. And have you driven in a cab lately? They're 600,000 mile Crown Vics that feel as if a big enough pothole might result in their eternal demise. That industry was full of fraud and ill maintained cars and was begging to be upended. It's not as if the cab industry couldn't have out-Uber'ed Uber. They had every advantage.

I have no problem with uber, taxi's, but they should be treated equally.
I also understand why taxi's are regulated so insanely, because they did it to them self by ripping people off, using POS vehicles, using POS employees, victimizing drunken morons etc etc.

Dude, they still do. Pre-Uber days EVERY time I came home from LA and took the ride from Ohare to Arlington Heights I'd get into an argument with a crooked driver trying to run a scam on me. I mean every time.

I'm the guy that thinks damn near everything should be legal that doesn't hurt yourself or others.
You want to be a hooker, not our business, go for it.
You want to be a witch doctor, not our business.
You want to be a physic, not our business.
You want to be a fake man of god, not our business.
If you can find customers, even if we think they are fools, it's not our business.

Great, so then we agree that Uber shouldn't be illegal.

Where in the hell did I ever say I was anti government, I am anti welfare state, liberal leech agenda.

Oh, you're anti-something that's arguably one of our country's smallest problems. My right arm just got blown off and I'm hemorrhaging blood but I'm really pissed about that ingrown toenail on my foot. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They're the same industry. If anything I would think you'd applaud the workaround to the big bad government. And have you driven in a cab lately? They're 600,000 mile Crown Vics that feel as if a big enough pothole might result in their eternal demise. That industry was full of fraud and ill maintained cars and was begging to be upended. It's not as if the cab industry couldn't have out-Uber'ed Uber. They had every advantage.

Dude, they still do. Pre-Uber days EVERY time I came home from LA and took the ride from Ohare to Arlington Heights I'd get into an argument with a crooked driver trying to run a scam on me. I mean every time.

Great, so then we agree that Uber shouldn't be illegal.

Oh, you're anti-something that's arguably one of our country's smallest problems. My right arm just got blown off and I'm hemorrhaging blood but I'm really pissed about that ingrown toenail on my foot. :rofl:

i'm unsure why you're trying here :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info