Automotive Repair Shops and Their Part Pricing Rant

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I recently had an alternator replaced on the G8. When he told me what they would charge for an alternator, I thought it seemed pricey compared to what I’d paid for the Mustang alternator a few years ago. But knowing that the G8 only had a two year production run, I figured some of the parts might be a bit more expensive. Though I also figured that this alternator would be something that isn’t G8 specific, but more of a general part that is used across many platforms.

The price was $412, and the shop buys all their parts from a dealership. I was able to find three reputable websites that offered the same part number (non-remanufactured) at around $260-280. My question is why does the repair shop pay the huge mark-up from the dealership? Is it because they just pass that cost onto the customer? And if that’s the case, aren’t they worried about customers taking their business elsewhere?

Or is it pretty common practice that repair shops purchase their parts from the dealerships? I can see why they might because of quality issues and returns. I know the repair shop probably gets a 15% discount or something, but probably not too much since they’re stealing away business from the dealership.

Should I just get off my soapbox and suck it up that I couldn’t do the repair myself and it costs what it costs?

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Read it again

OK OK OK. I read it again. My eyes most have been full of tears from the Clarkson news. Carry on!

If I have to go to a shop. I always purchase the parts on my own and have them in stall. Most shops will allow this at least the ones I deal with. You only get bit if the part fails. Sure there is warranty as well through rockauto. But your shop will charge labor to put on and take off. If you use the part they pickup from dealer it should not cost you anything.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
The simple fact is repair shops would not be able to stay open if they didn't mark up their parts. Basically as a rule of thumb figure they got the part for half price of what they charge you.
Sure you could buy your own part and give it to them to install, but then no warranty. If you ever get a discount on your repair, it comes off the part profit.

So your choices generally are ..
1. Pay full price and get a warranty with piece of mind it's not your problem anymore (which a lot of us don't care about because we fix our own shit)
2. Pay have price and have no warranty, but they will still rape you on labor to make it worth their time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info