Id like to thank Verizon Wireless, Samsung, and Obama...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
...for fucking over every end user and developer after every single Galaxy S4 software update. I am tired of people trying to gather data and control everything about my phone. I bought this phone because it was simply the best phone available and historically has the most development and aftermarket for software customization. Now im about ready to sell it and buy a Galaxy S3 off craigslist so I can do whatever the hell I want with it, unrestricted. I feel like a own a fucking iPhone. Days after the S4 was released developers cracked the bootloader, found out how to root, and started developing ROM's. (A customized operating system for the phone) After you root the phone you can flash a ROM a developer created and gain better performance, better battery life, greater customization, and not to mention all the Verizon and Samsung preinstalled software is gone or can be removed. I enjoyed a stupid fast, bloatware free phone, that seemed to last on battery forever for a few months before Verizon released the ME7 update. This ME7 update claimed faster data speeds along with battery tweaks. The developer that made the ROM I was running at the time didn't update his to ME7 yet so I couldn't just install a new version and you cant take a OTA update if you are not running Verizon software. The update was released days ago and developers haven't extracted the new kernel, and modem for separate install yet. I need the newest and best and I need it now. I ODIN'ed the full Verizon ME7 image to my phone so I can get these updated firmware parts, then I would just flash the MDK ROM I was on again. Problem was I didn't look and read the forums hard enough to find out that this ME7 update also LOCKED the bootloader so you could not install any other software. The exploit developers used to root the previous version was also patched and blocked so basically I was stock with a 100% stock phone. No big deal I will just ODIN the firmware back before MDK update. NOPE seems Verizon blocked you from doing that also. After nearly a day fucking with the phone for the first time ever I hard bricked it and couldn't recover it. The phone wouldn't boot. I had to get a warranty replacement S4. This also came with the restricted ME7 update. Days later a developer figured out how to root ME7 and that is exactly what I did. To this day months after the ME7 update developers still haven't cracked the S4 bootloader despite a $5,000 reward on XDA forums to whoever can crack it first. So anyway I ran ME7 stock plus root till yesterday. I manually removed all the bloatware but it was still stock software and sucked. Verizon released MJ7 update earlier this month. This was a BIG update to Andorid 4.3 and also unlocked the phones ability to connect to AWS bands (in select citys) so I could get HUGE data speed gains. I wanted this update but no root method existed yet so I couldn't just ODIN the firmware and root. After some research I figured out how to use the MJ7 update and keep root access. I ended up having to ODIN the ME1 update and taking a OTA update to MJ7 after the exploits. So now I am rooted on the newest Android 4.3. On to debloat. Oh wait Verizon has included this KNOX software that detects if you modified or remove software from the operating system. If it detects you are fucking with shit it voids the warranty on the phone supposedly. So now I need to figure out how to bypass that or just not give a fuck because I returned plenty of phones to Verizon with aftermarket bootloaders and ROM's installed. Only this time I would be a stock operating system with some software removed. Yep more cool stuff but they also fuck you at the same time. A lot of developers are not making software for this phone anymore because of the restrictions put in place, and users are selling the phones. Once again, thanks Verizon, Samsung, and Obama.

inb4 cool story bro
inb4 buy a iPhone
inb4 didn't read

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I'm going through the same bullshit with my Sprint GS4. I'm rooted with TWRP recovery, iNTriNsiC ROM, oxedex, on MD9 firmware, and the new 4.3.0 OTA just came through last night and everything I'm reading is that it's a major pain in the ass. Apparently the 4.3 has Samsung's Knox so if you try to flash a custom recovery the bootloader will reset the flash counter and void your warranty.

WTF? Why do they have to make shit so difficult!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I Should have never flashed that ME7 firmware everything would still be OK.

Id LOVE to see my flash counter. :rofl:

Havent read much on KNOX but sounds like they make you think its a security program but really it just spys on programs installed/uninstalled. Along with the obvious bootloader/recovery.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If android is so great, why can't you just leave the phone stock? Oh wait, you seem to secretly hate it and need to mod the shit out of it to make you happy

Why do people mod their cars? Because we can and you can always improve on something.

Back on topic... Samsung has kind of started to suck lately and Verizon is a turd of a company and is notorious for locking shit down.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
...for fucking over every end user and developer after every single Galaxy S4 software update. I am tired of people trying to gather data and control everything about my phone.
I bought this phone because it was simply the best phone available and historically has the most development and aftermarket for software customization.
Now im about ready to sell it and buy a Galaxy S3 off craigslist so I can do whatever the hell I want with it, unrestricted. I feel like a own a fucking iPhone. Days after the S4 was released developers cracked the bootloader, found out how to root, and started developing ROM's. (A customized operating system for the phone)

After you root the phone you can flash a ROM a developer created and gain better performance, better battery life, greater customization, and not to mention all the Verizon and Samsung preinstalled software is gone or can be removed.
I enjoyed a stupid fast, bloatware free phone, that seemed to last on battery forever for a few months before Verizon released the ME7 update. This ME7 update claimed faster data speeds along with battery tweaks. The developer that made the ROM I was running at the time didn't update his to ME7 yet so I couldn't just install a new version and you cant take a OTA update if you are not running Verizon software. The update was released days ago and developers haven't extracted the new kernel, and modem for separate install yet.

I need the newest and best and I need it now.

I ODIN'ed the full Verizon ME7 image to my phone so I can get these updated firmware parts, then I would just flash the MDK ROM I was on again. Problem was I didn't look and read the forums hard enough to find out that this ME7 update also LOCKED the bootloader so you could not install any other software. The exploit developers used to root the previous version was also patched and blocked so basically I was stock with a 100% stock phone. No big deal I will just ODIN the firmware back before MDK update.

NOPE seems Verizon blocked you from doing that also. After nearly a day fucking with the phone for the first time ever I hard bricked it and couldn't recover it. The phone wouldn't boot. I had to get a warranty replacement S4. This also came with the restricted ME7 update.

Days later a developer figured out how to root ME7 and that is exactly what I did. To this day months after the ME7 update developers still haven't cracked the S4 bootloader despite a $5,000 reward on XDA forums to whoever can crack it first.

So anyway I ran ME7 stock plus root till yesterday. I manually removed all the bloatware but it was still stock software and sucked. Verizon released MJ7 update earlier this month. This was a BIG update to Andorid 4.3 and also unlocked the phones ability to connect to AWS bands (in select citys) so I could get HUGE data speed gains.
I wanted this update but no root method existed yet so I couldn't just ODIN the firmware and root. After some research I figured out how to use the MJ7 update and keep root access. I ended up having to ODIN the ME1 update and taking a OTA update to MJ7 after the exploits. So now I am rooted on the newest Android 4.3.

On to debloat.
Oh wait Verizon has included this KNOX software that detects if you modified or remove software from the operating system. If it detects you are fucking with shit it voids the warranty on the phone supposedly. So now I need to figure out how to bypass that or just not give a fuck because I returned plenty of phones to Verizon with aftermarket bootloaders and ROM's installed. Only this time I would be a stock operating system with some software removed.

Yep more cool stuff but they also fuck you at the same time. A lot of developers are not making software for this phone anymore because of the restrictions put in place, and users are selling the phones. Once again, thanks Verizon, Samsung, and Obama.

inb4 cool story bro
inb4 buy a iPhone
inb4 didn't read

yesterday i found out my s3 has a memo/note taking thingy

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
boo hoo. Don't expect the latest and greatest to be unlocked instantly especially from an OEM phone. You should have known from experience that you never install a OTA update without proper research on what it breaks and fixes. USER ERROR NOOB!

my Samsung nexus is 4.3.1 with full root and fully unlocked. Don't blame Samsung when its obviously Versions OTA that is causing this.

Also Don't they have a developer version of the s4?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If android is so great, why can't you just leave the phone stock? Oh wait, you seem to secretly hate it and need to mod the shit out of it to make you happy

I could leave it stock. But it would have 20 useless Applications VZU and Samsung installed that I wont want on the phone. Better performance with different OS. Android is great because in most cases you CAN customize shit, unlike a iPhone where you cant do a thing and users are excited when Apple releases a new OS with text message timestamps.

boo hoo. Don't expect the latest and greatest to be unlocked instantly especially from an OEM phone. You should have known from experience that you never install a OTA update without proper research on what it breaks and fixes. USER ERROR NOOB!

my Samsung nexus is 4.3.1 with full root and fully unlocked. Don't blame Samsung when its obviously Versions OTA that is causing this.

Also Don't they have a developer version of the s4?

I'm just still laughing to this day probably 4-6 months later no one has been able to crack the locked bootloader. It was my fault. I should have read the posts where users flashed ME7 and now lost root and got a locked bootloader. It was like a same day thing. FWIW I am stock+root with a few mods/customizations of my own. But it would be nice if we had a unlocked bootloader. I actually went to half a dozen stores downtown to a attempt to find a phone with the MDK build (cracked bootloader) The only place that had old stock of the S4 was radio shack and they wanted to charge me $899 to buy a S4 out of contract. Get fucked when Verizon sells the phone for $599. I was actually going to buy a Nexus 5 last week but found out you cant use it on Verizon's network. They were making a dev edition for a few months but discontinued it really fast.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Can you Jailbreak anything made in the last few years?

Also what can do after the phone is jailbroken?

Yes. Not the 5S yet but the 5 is jailbreakable.

Anything you want that is in cydia. Just like a rooted android. A rooted android and jailbroke idevice are basically on par with each other.

But I am fine without jailbreaking cause I dont need to in order to remove bloatware and make it better. :hsughlol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info