So I'm down a car...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Super awesome happy fun time BMW build

I traded in the A8 and the 550 and bought this. It's a 2010 535 Sport w/ M-Tech. Basically that adds 18" M5 style wheels and the M5 bumpers/ side skirts.

The car is a fucking hoot. I don't know how else to put it. The 550 had 360 hp/ 360 ft/lbs and the 535 has 300/ 300 yet never feels slower. I suppose I have the twin turbo torque curve to thank for that. A $600 tune and it's up to 400hp without sacrificing drivability or reliability. Eat your heart out Ecoboost.

The transmission in this car is wild. Tapshift has come a long way. You hit the upshift and it's instantaneous as in right away and it's firm. You hit it for downshift and it blips the throttle and downshifts immediately. I'm going to miss the manual transmission but this gives you 80% of the fun of the manual and you can put in in full auto for when you don't want to get stupid.

This is my favorite part though... The car saves me $200 a month on auto payments, $100 a month on insurance (the Audi was aluminum and insurance is $$$$), gets much better gas mileage, is under warranty, has all maintenance covered and is only 2 years old. I don't drive enough to warrant 2 cars for myself any longer so this was a no-brainer.

Sorry for the terrible picture. I broke the rear panel on my iPhone and the eBay replacement came with the worst camera lens ever.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
17/ 26... A lot of people report upwards of 30, even modded. The way I drive I'll be happy with 20 combined. I was getting 12 - 14 out of the 550i.

Weight is 3703 lbs.

The whole dynamic between the 550 and the 535 is weird. The 535 came out in 2008 and was out with the 550 until 2010. The 535 is lighter (by 200lbs), gets better gas mileage and hits 60mph just .2 seconds slower than the 550 (officially). Unofficially it's just as fast if not a tick faster. It's also about 30 - 40 hp under-rated from BMW. I almost think that BMW just wanted to get rid of their stock of V8 engines and underrated this engine so it didn't step on the V8's toes.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I met up with the guys in California and grabbed a tuner. Good. God. I can't explain how stupid fast this car is. It completely blows my old turbo Grand Prix out of the water as it should.

The tuner is fully controlled through the dash. You have different maps (tunes) for everything you want to do. There's a couple PSI specific maps. You got map 1 that's 13 psi and map 2 that's 14.5 and you're not supposed to use that unless you're a bit more modified.

Then there's Map 5. Map 5 requires that you run through 3rd and 4th gears at wide open throttle and while doing this, it auto tunes the car for you, upping the boost automatically to a level that's safe based on your current fuel and a load of other variables. Map 5 was also recently re-done to accommodate alternative fuels like E85, which means that if you drop in a 60/ 40 mix of E85/ 93 octane the tuner will pick up on this and further raise the boost levels. How much?

Well, a stock car dynos on average anywhere from 270 - 285 rwhp. A car running Map 1 (which is what most run) adds about 80 rwhp and takes you up to 360 at the rear wheels. Drop in E85 and let it tune itself and you're looking at another 40 - 50 rwhp, putting the car a tad over 400 at the wheels with nothing more than a tune and intake, a solid 460 - 470hp at the crank with similar torque numbers and a torque curve that's flatter than an Olsen twin's chest. See what I did there? At 3700lbs, while not light, the car is also not a pig so you're not wasting a bunch of horsepower trying to get it out of it's own way.

I'll get some videos of it accelerating. It's wild. No regrets for skipping the M5 now.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ditch the dealer plate junk

I have no good reason for why it's there.

you were cooler when you had a GP

By that logic I was at my pinnacle of coolness when I had my baby blue Ford Taurus. :ford:

Looks good. Ever think about de badging it or getting black badges?

I got rid of the 535 badge last week after someone here made the suggestion. I like that. I'm not sure how I feel about ditching the BMW badges though. SHO people used to replace their Ford badges with Yamaha badges and it looked really lame.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I have no good reason for why it's there.

By that logic I was at my pinnacle of coolness when I had my baby blue Ford Taurus. :ford:

I got rid of the 535 badge last week after someone here made the suggestion. I like that. I'm not sure how I feel about ditching the BMW badges though. SHO people used to replace their Ford badges with Yamaha badges and it looked really lame.

Don't ditch the BMW badges. Even with everything blacked out on my car, including the M3 tags, I still kept the original white and blue roundel. I'm not a fan of switching those out either.

Thread Info