Picked up my new 2012 Golf R last night....

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I'm grinning ear to ear

..and no I don't have any decent photos YET

other photos I do have from pre-delivery ->
2012R.jpg

ResizedImage951332866692265.jpg

ResizedImage951332866653334.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
nope...

This is AWD and 258hp :)

..highest model Golf you can get

and thanks :D

:bigthumb:

The r32 was always lacking some oomph with that vr6 and the gti was well lame being fwd so you get the best of both worlds now!

Is it the same (similar) 2.0 turbo engine from the gti? I'm guessing a reflash would wake it up a bunch then like the gti.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I am, however, impressed and an ecu re-tune will easily get me more hp when I get to that point.. (and will surpass my former 2004 R32) ...and yes, it is indeed a 2.0 turbo motor much like the GTI 2.0 (but tuned already with more hp to start with from the factory).. just this one has build internals (stronger internals) to handle the higher hp

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
First off congrats on the R! There are a few in the area already. Really like the color.

Is it the same (similar) 2.0 turbo engine from the gti? I'm guessing a reflash would wake it up a bunch then like the gti.

I am, however, impressed and an ecu re-tune will easily get me more hp when I get to that point.. (and will surpass my former 2004 R32) ...and yes, it is indeed a 2.0 turbo motor much like the GTI 2.0 (but tuned already with more hp to start with from the factory).. just this one has build internals (stronger internals) to handle the higher hp

It is a 2.0T like the current GTI but is an updated version of the TFSI found in the MK5 GTI's. Current GTIs are TSI. The old TFSI had known problems with the cam follower and this has supposedly been address. Only limiting factor on the TFSI from the factory is fueling. Basic ECU reflash will do wonders, but anything more than that a High Pressure Fuel Pump will be needed. I hope they put a beefier clutch in than what came stock on my GTI.

Enjoy it!

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
They used to have an AWD Passat option as well (not sure if they will bring that back or not)

But the R32 and this R is the only AWD version Golf VW offered for sale in this country.

VW Does have AWD SUVs as well though ;)

Obviously on the SUVs having AWD/4WD

I meant on the cars. It was my belief that VW stayed away from AWD as a whole in the car market. If you want an AWD VW, you add a few circles to the grille, some nice leather seats, and about $15k to the sticker. Then you drive your Audi home.

Thread Info