• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LSx Swap-Opinions

MattMD

Mar 2, 2012
Chicago
Hey everybody!

I need some help. I have a '65 AMC Rambler Ambassador that I want to update. The car will not meant to be driven fast, but I want to swap in a LS for the reliability on a long drive, availbity of parts, that nice rumble and wow factor when I open the hood.

I understand that I should start with a 5.3. I have access to insurance auctions and was wondering what year/model wreck should I pick up. I have heard there are aluminum 5.3s available, it it worth the extra money?

Does anyone have a suggestions of someone that would be willing to take on this project?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Welcome :bigthumb:

The 5.3 makes great power n/a and has proven it's self as a reliable Daily driver. I would stick w/a cast iron one. They could be had for pretty cheap. And it does well boosted ;)

The 6.0's make even better power but obviously aren't that well on gas.

For what you want I would stick w/the 5.3 and though mild mods its way. Good luck!

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
i don't understand why everyone is so awestruck by the 5.3. if you can get your hands on a 6.0, i'd suggest going that way.
much easier to make decent power without having to go with radical parts.
you can also just get the lq4 shortblock and swap in ls3 heads/intake and a cam to match and you'll be making north of 500whp reliably without dropping bufu bucks on fast intakes and aftermarket casting/ported stocker heads.there is a lot more versatility with the lq4 IMO. the operating system (pcm) is also easier to modify than the 5.3 stuff and there is a ton of support for lq4 swaps

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
i don't understand why everyone is so awestruck by the 5.3. if you can get your hands on a 6.0, i'd suggest going that way.
much easier to make decent power without having to go with radical parts.
you can also just get the lq4 shortblock and swap in ls3 heads/intake and a cam to match and you'll be making north of 500whp reliably without dropping bufu bucks on fast intakes and aftermarket casting/ported stocker heads.there is a lot more versatility with the lq4 IMO. the operating system (pcm) is also easier to modify than the 5.3 stuff and there is a ton of support for lq4 swaps

I think most people go 5.3 due to them being like 300 bucks at a junk yard ware the 6.0's go for around a grand, other than that I have no idea why given the choice you would opt for the 5.3

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
I'm in the middle of a 1995 M3 / LS6 swap. I narrowed the choices down to LS2 or LS6. Cost & horsepower were my major considerations. The LS6 just happened to come along at the right price. Personally if I were in your shoes I'd go LS1. Also you might want to research what accessory layout you need to go with, the F-Body configuration is the most compact from what I understand.

MattMD

Mar 2, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for all of the responses. It seems like the typical line in the sand has been drawn.

The reason I started at the 5.3 is cost and use of the vehicle. I am not putting this into a car that will appreciate. Hell, if I spend north of $4k I would be into the motor more than the running car I bought last year.
Also, I live in Lincoln Park. The car typically moves 30 miles a week when the weather is good, and then I rarely exceed 30mph. I want it to be able to head up to WI or down to KY if I get the itch, but still don't plan to break 80mph.

So power seems to be the losing factor. The car currently has an AMC 327, very similar to the ones put into Jeeps in the mid 60's, so I don't think space will be very worrisome. I plan on contacting the TCG sponsor to see if they are interested in the project, I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks again guys!

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Thanks for all of the responses. It seems like the typical line in the sand has been drawn.

The reason I started at the 5.3 is cost and use of the vehicle. I am not putting this into a car that will appreciate. Hell, if I spend north of $4k I would be into the motor more than the running car I bought last year.
Also, I live in Lincoln Park. The car typically moves 30 miles a week when the weather is good, and then I rarely exceed 30mph. I want it to be able to head up to WI or down to KY if I get the itch, but still don't plan to break 80mph.

So power seems to be the losing factor. The car currently has an AMC 327, very similar to the ones put into Jeeps in the mid 60's, so I don't think space will be very worrisome. I plan on contacting the TCG sponsor to see if they are interested in the project, I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks again guys!
In 4 pics and a build thread

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
I think most people go 5.3 due to them being like 300 bucks at a junk yard ware the 6.0's go for around a grand, other than that I have no idea why given the choice you would opt for the 5.3

ipicked up 2 lq4s with <70k on them (longblocks and in running condition) for 850 shipped...

for the 100/200 dollars more...i think its worth it.

ijust feel like everyone <3's the 5.3s because of the turbo 5.3 that held up to a lot of power. n/a 5.3s aren't that crazy powerwise...for the same amount of money you can build a 6.0 to much higher capabilities.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
ipicked up 2 lq4s with <70k on them (longblocks and in running condition) for 850 shipped...

ijust feel like everyone <3's the 5.3s because of the turbo 5.3 that held up to a lot of power. n/a 5.3s aren't that crazy powerwise...for the same amount of money you can build a 6.0 to much higher capabilities.

5.3 is just cheap and makes decent enough power for a DD w/o going through assloads of gas like the 6.0. I opted to go w/the 6.0 though :jg:

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA

when the fuck did you get 2 6.0s?!?!?!?!?

So this project is going forward. I have been shopping around for a complete liftout 5.3 or 6.0 with the 4L60e transmission, the prices I am getting seem higher than what has been relayed here. Does anybody have something laying around they want to sell quick? Or a good suggestion a yard to call?

IMG_20110502_195255.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info