• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

L92 heads

Couple of questions on these since a buddy of mine I made a deal with is giving me a set of these heads. First question is, these are straight off an LS3 and I know they run the hollow valve stems, do I need to worry about this difference since mine are solid? Second, I plan on going the D1SC route in the future but I would like to mill the heads .025" to raise compression to 10.9:1. Would anyone not recommend doing this since you can push more boost by lowering compression or is it not a big deal with these motors? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
mill them to keep the stock compression ratio. solid valves will be better than the hollow for boost, but it's nothing you need to worry about until you are making some serious serious steam. if you cam the car, be aware of the piston to valve clearance since the l92/ls3 heads use a larger intake valve, plus the heads being milled

Yes, the clearance for the pushrods is what I am most worried about since I will be changing out to the Lunati lifters but I will contact them about specifications for the nominal preload but I am pretty sure that I will need a pushrod length checker. I can always do the the math but most just do not know until they are putting everything back together. Stock compression right now is 10.4:1 and the GXP runs 10.8:1 and they are running these combo builds with little to no issue with the motor. I would like to have the head work taken care of in advance that way when it is time for FI, I won't have to worry about them again. For now, this is going along with the cam I will be putting in and this is definitely the hardest part is determining the specs for this and staying with a stock converter.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I know from the GTO LS3 top swaps, running unmilled LS3/L76 heads on the LS2 block will reduce the compression from 10.9:1 to ~10.4:1. Milling them .030" will bring it back to 10.9:1 but the PTV clearance is reduced. So if your G8 already has 10.4:1 compression, get the heads milled .030" to bump it up to stock LS2 compression.

If you're going FI route, don't mill them as you reduce the deck strength if you do.

Received this email from Patrick G and didn't realize the PTV clearance would get so close
from milling that it would limit you on cam aggressiveness. This same guy took cathedral style heads, had them ported (along with a few other bolt ons) and made over 500 to the wheels on stock cubes. Most guys with L92's have a hard time getting there.

I've taken stock bottom ends over 7000 rpm. I would caution you on milling heads if you want to run a cam of any decent size though. With an unmilled head, you can only run a 231 @ .050" cam on a 112 intake centerline before you get tighter than .080" piston to valve clearance. If you mill .030", you can only run a 219 @ .050" cam on a 112 intake centerline before you get tighter than .080" P to V clearance. You will make more power with a bigger cam and lower compression.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list