• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Truck enthusiasts come in... I have Q's.

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Hey guys, I plan on buying a 04+ Chevy Silverado in the near future. I have a few questions before I start actually shopping.

1) Is the 4.8 or 4.3 whatever vortec motor v6 model able to tow a C6 corvette time to time? I don't plan on towing my Vette that often, but if I wanted to would I be able to.

2) V6 vs v8 on a daily basis, which is better gas mileage or is it not that much of a difference. Some V8 motors today are more efficient than v6s this is why I ask.

3) Finally for a daily trip of 10 miles to work mostly express way driving (I94) what would you go for the 5.3L or the V6? Again I want a truck mainly to haul around small shit....

I found something like this....which I think is a very nice truck, DEFINITELY want an extended cab, that's a must.

CLICK ON LINK

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
x2 Do not get the V6, or the 4.8 for that matter. They barely get better gas mileage than the 5.3, even worse if you have a heavy foot. Even with my lightly modded 5.3 on heavier tires i can get 14 mixed cty/hwy. Im sure it would be better with a stock trans and shift points, but wheres the fun in that. My silverado is an 02 with 125k on it and it still runs like a raped ape. I plowed with it for 3 or 4 years with a plow way too big for a 1/2ton with no real issues. I replaced the trans at about 100k because of a mis-diagnosis, but besides that have not had to fix much on it. Fuel pump last year, and normal wear items, but it has been a real solid truck all in all.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)

/thread

:werd:

Get nothing less than the 5.3! I had the 4.8 in mine, and it did fine but the gas mileage isn't that great. The 5.3 got better mileage than my 4.8, and it has more torque for towing.

Now if you weren't gonna tow, and got a regular cab short bed then then get a 4.3 5spd. You could get 20mpg city, on a recent trip I netted 26mpg on the highway but of course it had a conservative tune

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I had a 95 Silverado EXT cab with the 5.7 (Replaced by the 5.3) and like whats already been said, go straight to the 5.3 or a 6.0 equipped truck... My truck was UNSTOPPABLE towing, and honestly got the same mpg regardless of what I was doing unless I was towing a car. Dealerships REALLY don't mark up the 5.3's much (if any) more over the 4.8... to most dealerships "Its a V-8, YOU CAN TOW CRAP!" or "Its a V-6 GREAT MPGS!", and that's the sales pitch...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The v6 you seem to be throttle down to get it going any where around town. Just kills the MPG.

And if you are buying it mainly to haul stuff around why would you get any thing but the 5.3 and bigger? Get a motor with torque to tow or haul stuff. The 10 mile commute to work is nothing to really consider gas mileage. lol

Buy my 2001 LT Z71 so I have a reason to buy a M3 or some thing. hahaha

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
So I test drove a Summit White 2010 Silverado crew cab 4X4 with a short bed. I LOVE it. It's a 4.8L ( I know not the 5.3L) but low miles, one year old and affordable. When I first came up to the truck I was like damn, this is nice and everything I need. Then I saw the SOLD sticker on it. At this point I saw every other truck on the lot, everything else is just out of my budget, salesman runs over and catches me before I leave and says the financing fell through for the last buyer. WIN!!! I have them checking a few other facilities because I REALLY want a black or silver one, but for the price and the fact that it's a 2010 in my budget vs looking at 07s that had even higher mileage I may grab it this weekend.

They were trying to hound me like every salesman, but I got the hell out of there haha. Time to run my own carfax on it and think about it in general. I can dig white, throw some nice black powder coated rims on it and call it a day. :)

They are running through there auction buyers and whatnot to see what they can find for me. Who knows maybe they'll find one with a 5.3L. I'm ok with a 4.8L though honestly, doesn't phase me one bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info