• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help me read my TR6 spark plugs

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Hey guys, the car started running like crap the last week. It originally had some hesitation during warm starts and then the last time it was having low end power issues and sounded like an exhaust leak (more like a dump truck then normal) I am running an open down pipe so it usually sounds like one but had more of a put put noise. I checked everything over, made sure things were tight and limped the car home. Upon getting there I had a misfire code in cylinder 7 pop up. Today I finally got to pull my plugs, here is what I found. I had just set my hptuners to scan misfire and there was no current misfire happening. It did have history missing in cylinder 7.

Cliffs
Car ran fine all summer until the last 4 times taking it out.
Info: 600 miles on plugs, 7# of boost, all gaps still the same (0.028")
Symptoms: Hard warm start, low end hesitation, misfire when warm
Codes: Cylinder 7 misfire, Engine misfire
Solutions: ???

4c4239a0.jpg
[/IMG]

dd083062.jpg

7c2ed0ce.jpg

7aae8644.jpg

9a41196d.jpg

c41b0764.jpg

Plug 7

83e5c84d.jpg

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Coils appear fine. When I pulled the car out of the garage to remove the plugs, I was scanning and the car was not misfiring in any cylinder. I have noticed that this problem seems to happen when the car is warm and has devoloped during the last 4 times driving it.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Injectors are 60# seimens that as far as I know were flow matched. I did read a post on ls1tech of someone having to swap tr6's about twice a year. My dad also said he had a gto back in the day that would go through plugs every 500 miles or so. If this is a simple fix where I can throw in a new plug I would be extremely happy. I am leaving for school in less then a week and really would not want to leave the car in a state thats not 100%.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Did you replace the plugs and run the car? Does it feel better. I know one of the caveats to a turbo ls1 is routine plug changes.

Not yet, I am thinking of scooping up a new plug for cyl 7 and maybe scooping up some msd wires. Do the symptoms and ugly colored plug sound like the source for the symptoms I was having? I don't understand why this would only happen when the car is warm?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Not yet, I am thinking of scooping up a new plug for cyl 7 and maybe scooping up some msd wires. Do the symptoms and ugly colored plug sound like the source for the symptoms I was having? I don't understand why this would only happen when the car is warm?

With how ugly that plug looked I would think it could easily cause a miss. I actually changed my spark plugs with every oil change on my monte. They are cheap and an easy peace of mind. I would just try the new plug and see if it fixes it. If it does, then just change all your plugs every 3k or something

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
You guys would recommend moving the plug first before replacing it? They have a smidge over 600 miles on them so following every one's trend replacing them all wouldn't be a bad idea. Everything on the car has been perfect with no DTC's all summer until now :picard:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Don't get me wrong. They don't "go out" - but with as much tuning as I do on the car, you need to be able to reliably read the plugs to back up your scan data. So I change them more frequently than they need to be changed.

how long does it take you to change the plugs on an ls1 ?

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
before you put all new plugs in id do what eagle said and swap the plug with a known good one that isnt missing and see if the misfire moves, that way your not throwing parts at the car,your not wasting good plugs IF it still misses, and you can get an idea of whats goin on and go from there.

possibly swap a coil if need be too with another cyl. if need be

least its on the driver side..lol all kinds of rooom there

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
I cleaned the plugs and am going to re-install them. I really don't have a lot of time to screw with troubleshooting it right now and really would hate to give up with something simple. I might just get her up and running and then do all new plugs, wires, and possibly coils over the winter. I've been planning on ripping everything off and going another route with the car but I cant throw the towel in just yet. The car should be fine since its just going to be moved in and out of the garage a couple times over winter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info