• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LS Engine Builder

Pillion88

Regular
Nov 5, 2010
Naperville
Real Name
Justin Pillion
Swapping the stock LS could be done in your garage with basic tools, so save your money and do that part yourself. Now FI applications should be done by professionals unfortunately the best boosted LSx shop is located in Columbus GA Owned by a dear friend of mine. OUTLAWZ performance.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
a thread on ls1tech said:
Heres the skinny:

The goal of the test was to test the true limits of the LM7, which is the 5.3L truck engine based on the LSx series engines. Pretty much an LS1 with an iron block in a nutshell.

They picked up what they thought was an 5.3L LM7 but, as they found out after the testing was over, it was actually a 4.8L LR4 which is the smallest of the LSx based iron truck engines. One phenomenal part about the engine was the #8 cylinder had a large rust spot etched in it that their hone wouldn't remove....they left it there.

For the top end they upgraded to 2" intake valves, stock exhaust valves and did a very mild port job on the heads. Flow numbers went from 220/220 to 300/220 cfm on the intake and exhaust respectively. ARP studs with Fel-Pro MLS gaskets kept the heads down. A mild Comp Cams cam was installed along with the supplied lifters, pushrods, springs and rockers remained stock. A FAST LSXR intake was installed as well with a big TB.

The short block(except the cam) was all stock. Even the original bearings and rings that were on the motor when it was purchased were reused. They even sanded the rust off the #8 rings and reused them!

Fueling was handled by 75 lbs/hr injectors and upgraded fuel rails. It was run on Rockett 118.

The two turbochargers were CXracing 76mm units run off of flipped shorty truck headers(no name brand headers).

The engine was run for SIXTY dyno pulls over half of which were claimed to be at 1000+ hp. In it's final trim, in between 26 and 27psi, the engine produced just over 1200hp. What stopped the testing was not engine failure but an ignition failure(all sensors and electrical components like the ignition were stock). The engine was 100% a-ok by the end of the testing.

:eek3:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
In the most recent hot rod, they made almost 1200hp with a 4.8. Two ebay turbos, mild head work, and stock bottom end. Just saying...

On accident too :rofl:

Mike there's better drivability with a 1200hp 4.8 v8 vs a 1200hp 2.1 I4. People forget that. Plus each cylinder is doing half the work on the v8 vs the I4

Pillion88

Regular
Nov 5, 2010
Naperville
Real Name
Justin Pillion
Well if your just looking for some one to make you a motor for you to throw in shoot an email to the boys at Texas-speed.com or ERL.com both have great customer service. You'll get your motor back from Texas- speed first though because ERL is pretty backed up right now. LS2 454 LS3 heads fast 102 NW 102 TB 4/4 race cam and you'll have plenty of power for your goat. ALL MOTOR ALL THE TIME

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
On this subject, I'm just wondering is there some reason why you shouldn't do a stroker setup with turbos or is it just financially inefficient?

you should. but most people don't...its not necessary for 95% of people. you can handle 1k hp with a lq4 block, forged pistons and rods.

with a stroker comes the issues of having the stroker breath...high flow intakes, throttle bodies, cams, springs.

it'll make a shit ton more power and handle more boost...

but it'll cost you thousands.

Larry@AMS

Regular
Jun 20, 2011
There is plenty of good suggestions here. The main question here is what are your goals? The stock 5.3 / 6.0 can hold some good power in FI form with a proper combo and good tune.

many stock shorts with cam and valvetrain upgrades making 600+ rwhp

Speed uses a close friends shop ( which did my LTJunk) as well as AES. We would look at using AES in most cases ourselves for Lsx builds.

feel free to call or email me anytime if you have any questions

[email protected]
630-549-8919

thanks for the referrals guys

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info