• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

battery relocation problem..

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
ive relocated my battery to the trunk of my trans am, and now it cranks slowly, but will start, and everytime i shut the car down i loose my trip odometer.

battery is good..worked fine before this relocation..ive got it grounded to the rear seatbelt bolt and scraped the paint off for a good ground.the ground in the engine bay has a 0 gauge wire going from the engine block to the neg terminal that would hook to the battery, and them 2 are bolted down to a nut i welded to the body of the car under the hood.

positive cable is a 2 gauge cable i even used on my last car for the same deal, and had no problems with it. i ran it to under the hood and bolted it to the exising pos. terminal that bolts to the battery.

question of the day is....why is it cranking slow, and why is the trip resetting? :\

thanks in advance!

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Trip resetting is due to low voltage. My power wire was loose and it was doing the same thing. The cranking is probibly due to the strength of the battery vs how far from it the starter is. You might need to invest in a higher cca battery to get it back to normal. My grand am and mustang were grounded on a seatbelt bolt with no issues.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
really think a chassis ground will make that much of a differnece compared to the seatbelt bolt?

Yes. You will hear people say "most electrical problems can be blamed on bad grounds". This is very true.

Voltage drop across a long run can be killer as well. Like mentioned. The style of wire in the cable can make a difference with that too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info