• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Dropping a trans out of an 00 Z28 tomorrow...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
It's not too hard, really. Top bolts are easiest if you do them first. Drop the cross member, let the trans sag down (rocking the entire engine back) and pull the top bolts out with a long extension and possibly a swivel. Then support the trans again and pull the rest of the bolts.

Good luck :bigthumb:

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
It's not too hard, really. Top bolts are easiest if you do them first. Drop the cross member, let the trans sag down (rocking the entire engine back) and pull the top bolts out with a long extension and possibly a swivel. Then support the trans again and pull the rest of the bolts.

Good luck :bigthumb:

+1 and if you dont have a swivel Get One.. and he means LONG extension

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I actually own an extension for specifically this job. I think its a 24" extension. :rofl: Quite handy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N38FH4/?tag=tcg21-20

These things were a great buy for pulling the trans on my 300zx. Only other bit of advice is I usually put a piece of duct tape around the 1/2 swivel to keep it from flopping around as much. Not sure if you LS people need that but it helped me a ton.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N38FH4/?tag=tcg21-20

These things were a great buy for pulling the trans on my 300zx. Only other bit of advice is I usually put a piece of duct tape around the 1/2 swivel to keep it from flopping around as much. Not sure if you LS people need that but it helped me a ton.

Good idea!

I'll try that next time.

Also when you go to reinstall everything put a dab of grease in your socket to hold the bolt in it. That works good too.

Well it took us all day but we got it out and back in in the same day. It actually wasn't nearly as hard as we thought. Most of our time consuming came from the prep work before dropping the trans and getting off snapped exhaust bolts :rofl:. We also found out with no trans in that it's really hard to get the bellhousing lined up since the engine isn't sagging anymore. So what we did was we found a little notch on the block that was solid, put a hook in it with a ratchet strap attached to it and attached the other end to part of the lift. After that it went in pretty quick. Thanks again for anyone that gave tips to us because they did help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info