• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Alternator upgrade

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Well after a bit of research, I've found lots of folks with power adders on their LSx cars (esp those w/FI setups and big after market fuel systems) having problems with their alternators. Seems the stock 105A alt has a difficult time pushing all the juice needed to run everything and soon starts dying, but doesn't completely fail in most cases. Seems that they start to have issues providing power at higher RPMs and also during cruising ppl have seen their headlights "flickering".... I too noticed this towards the 2nd half of the season last year.

SO! I found out that you can get a 145A from a 2003 Chebby Silverado and it drops right in for $149 from Advance with a lifetime warranty (without TCG discount). Much cheaper than the 150A Powermaster which Summit lists @ $242 and many folks on TECH report their fancy Powermaster's failing.

If any of you folks are noticing your fbody's headlights flickering a bit... this might be the culprit. Thought I'd share. :bigthumb:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
are you sure thats the issue? i had a similar issue on my camaro and went through a couple alts before i actually did a system test. it was showing no response on throttle meaning the excitor wire was fucked. replaced the wire with an aftermarket single wire unit and a crunktastically waterproof connection (no soldering--> crimp/connect/heatshrink/heatshrink/heatshrink/tape) and problem solved.

that is a pretty good deal for someone who doesn't want to rebuild their alt though.

rebuild is easy as shitzu.

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=654

and cheap

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5158

240amp

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
185631_10150111557344078_164026164077_6170202_5187397_n.jpg

:iorofl:

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
Well after a bit of research, I've found lots of folks with power adders on their LSx cars (esp those w/FI setups and big after market fuel systems) having problems with their alternators. Seems the stock 105A alt has a difficult time pushing all the juice needed to run everything and soon starts dying, but doesn't completely fail in most cases. Seems that they start to have issues providing power at higher RPMs and also during cruising ppl have seen their headlights "flickering".... I too noticed this towards the 2nd half of the season last year.

SO! I found out that you can get a 145A from a 2003 Chebby Silverado and it drops right in for $149 from Advance with a lifetime warranty (without TCG discount). Much cheaper than the 150A Powermaster which Summit lists @ $242 and many folks on TECH report their fancy Powermaster's failing.

If any of you folks are noticing your fbody's headlights flickering a bit... this might be the culprit. Thought I'd share. :bigthumb:

Thats good to know

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
WAIT WAIT, HIDS on a TA? Do tell.

TA's have old school glass headlights....

I bought unsealed headlight housings for my TA. I just swap the bulbs out when they go out now, and I can upgrade to HIDs no problem at any point. Granted, they arent projector headlights and dont aim the beam like HIDs should but still.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info