• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

SFC's - Bolt in or weld ins... Trans mount/mid frame tq arm Pros and cons

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I have bolt ins from umi. They are just two point bars on either side. They bolted up really nice. Can't say how they effected the ride as I also did lower control arms, new shocks all around, torque arm an panhard bar. I didn't want weld in sfc's because I'm constantly doing crap to the car and if thy need to come off I didn't want to deal with te headache of a welded on piece.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Also, if you get a torque arm make sure it's adjustable and I recommend a tunnel mount. The trans mount torque arms can put too much strain on the tail of the trans. Let me know if you need any help picking stuff out. The best mods for suspension I think are lower control arms with relocation brackets and good shocks to start with.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I have weld-in two-point subframes and they made a huge difference in stiffening the car. I can't say it did anything for performance but the car has fewer squeaks, rattles and rides a lot firmer and more solid after the pieces went in.

The torque arm I'm running is a Spohn tunnel mount. It transmits a lot more noise from the rear end into the cabin and clunks a bunch, which I read is common. The car feels a lot more planted and controlled on the street when mashing it from a dig.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
double diamond sfcs-boltin/weldin (both)
i have used the trans mounted tq arm and tunnel mounted
i love tunnel mounted...the hardest part is drilling those holes without removing the carpet lol
i didn't hear much more interior noise, but that car was loud anyway

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
QA1s for shocks, SA is fine DA is DA bomb. Weld in ALWAYS.

300+ dollars per shock for the DAs! Pretty cashy but there probably wayyy worth it. Do you have DAs on all 4s?

Now what would the difference be between weldins and bolt on? Is it just the fact that the frame is then part of the car as a whole vs. a bolt in, which is only afixiated to a certian point on the subframe of the car?

Who did your weld ins eagle? Did you take it to a local shop or did you do it yourself?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
300+ dollars per shock for the DAs! Pretty cashy but there probably wayyy worth it. Do you have DAs on all 4s?

Now what would the difference be between weldins and bolt on? Is it just the fact that the frame is then part of the car as a whole vs. a bolt in, which is only afixiated to a certian point on the subframe of the car?

Who did your weld ins eagle? Did you take it to a local shop or did you do it yourself?

I did it myself with my MIG welder. I've done 2-3 more sets since then in my garage on other cars :hsugh:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I did it myself with my MIG welder. I've done 2-3 more sets since then in my garage on other cars :hsugh:

Weld ins are pretty easy. I did a weld in kit for a Stang a month or two ago that was even missing parts I had to fab up, and it was only a few hours to do with me taking my sweet time and never working on a Fox body Mustang.

Most people that buy bolt in's weld them and bolt them. If you can only imagine the forces they endure you wouldn't just bolt them in. If the welds are done right, they can be removed later with a grinder without messing up the chassis.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info