• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Coil Over Noises

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Ok, who has coil overs besides myself and IZZY? My 1st question is what kind of noises do they make when being street driven? Im experiencing a clicking and clacking sound every time I go over a dip in the road, not so much on bumps but only dips. Like when you drive down a road and you get that roller coaster feeling, that kind of dip. Its never done that with my K member or any other suspension mods until I installed the coil overs.

Is everyone experiencing some noise? I have heard that they can be noisy but what kind of noise? Its very annoing and I want to try and fix it. Oh and it happens in turns too.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
I have a MMS K & Coil overs. I had some noise when I first put them on. So I raised my car a little bit and most of the noise went away. I think I was to low. By raising the height a bit, it took some of the slack out. I've had them for a year now and I don't really hear anything any more.

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
I had a set of MMR Coilovers with Strange 10-Way Adjustable Shocks in the back and front on my '03 Cobra when it had the '03 Mustang GT rear end in it.

I HATED IT!!!!

It was the creaking and making all kinds of noise all the time. Biggest waste of money I ever spent on that car.

One time we checked it out while up in the air and noticed it was actually the spring bowing and grinding against the shock. I hated all of it. I even began hating the ride quality of the live axle. So much so that I put a built to hell IRS in it and never looked back.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Ok, who has coil overs besides myself and IZZY? My 1st question is what kind of noises do they make when being street driven? Im experiencing a clicking and clacking sound every time I go over a dip in the road, not so much on bumps but only dips. Like when you drive down a road and you get that roller coaster feeling, that kind of dip. Its never done that with my K member or any other suspension mods until I installed the coil overs.

Is everyone experiencing some noise? I have heard that they can be noisy but what kind of noise? Its very annoing and I want to try and fix it. Oh and it happens in turns too.

Are you running an aftermarket front swaybar?

Yes Im running MM coil overs all around with 550# rear and 400# front

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
From experience I had the same thing and I thought it was the coil overs. It wasnt. Look at the nut on top of your sway bar at the end links (top) give it one full tightened turn. I had to give mine like 3 or 4 turns. Remember how many turns you give it in case its not your problem but it sounds identical to what I had last fall. Somehow that nut had backed off just enough and it sounded like a rolercoaster when I would hit bumps etc.
I get an occasional squeak from my rears at the rubber bushings in the trunk. A little lithium grease and its good

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
I had a lot of noise with my UPR setup. They made an almost "Creaking" noise for a while too. They have quieted down over time, but it's still noticeable.

yep same here with my UPR setup...sounded like an old spring matress for a while them finally quieted down to nothing..only noisy when i hit a good bump or hard transition to a parking lot etc..

i hardly notice it anymore:alcoholic

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
yep same here with my UPR setup...sounded like an old spring matress for a while them finally quieted down to nothing..only noisy when i hit a good bump or hard transition to a parking lot etc..

i hardly notice it anymore:alcoholic

yea but mine just doesnt sound right, I dont know how to accurately describe the damn noise, I just know its not right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info