• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Half Shaft Breakage

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I have a chance to pick up some halfshafts, but without the part that goes into the diff. Basically just the tripod. Can someone chime in and post up their break experience. Where do they usually break at 600 rwhp and torque level. What I mean by that is where in the shaft does the break occur.

When I broke mine, it was in the boot part.

CobraJack and GNX I hear you guys have some experience in this maybe you guys can chime in. Thanks

I want these for track days as spares but wanna make sure they dont break in the diff part.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
That shaft for the most part is two pieces, the inner (part that goes into pumpkin) and the outer (closest to wheel).

My shaft when it broke was on the outer part, closer to the wheel. I had my car towed home and bought a used one, that only have the outer (how most people sell them) and they are interchangable from left to right. I was able to remove my broken one, take it apart and remove the inner part and reuse on the one I bought.

If I remember correctly there are just a few C clips holding them on, so you will need some snap ring tools you can buy at sears, etc. Wear gloves, as that smurf guts is messy.

If you are taking one with you to the track, I would suggest it being complete, this will allow for the quick install most talk about.

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
im not a track whore but i want to be fully protected when going to the track........depends on the cars power situation. i traded my irs for a fully built solid axle. even swap!! even got qa1 adjustable shocks. adjustable control arms. the abs sensors all strange internals. the only thing i bought was a bearing rebuild kit for 70 bucks. just for my own safety. wanted everything to be reset fresh. all i am saying is there are good deals out there and for him being around 700rwhp i would look into it...

stunuts

My Member?!
Jul 28, 2008
I broke the outer spline "in wheel hub" about 3 weeks ago.

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
As you can see, no two break alike... that being said, best bet is to have one complete one for the track to switch out... and then go back home and dissect the old one, repeat process.

I would consider myself a track whore (although I have not been there this year)... and I have an IRS. To me $100 and a little grease work< built solid , but again everyone's opinion is different.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
As you can see, no two break alike... that being said, best bet is to have one complete one for the track to switch out... and then go back home and dissect the old one, repeat process.

I would consider myself a track whore (although I have not been there this year)... and I have an IRS. To me $100 and a little grease work< built solid , but again everyone's opinion is different.

Nope Im no track whore, I had a solid axle sitting in my garage for one year and I decided to sell it, because Im getting tired of dumping thousands of dollars in this car. I wanted someting simple and streetable, (not saying sra is not streetable). My car came w IRS and its cheaper to keep and makes more sense for me to keep, and just replace the broken half shafts.

Now I will be running a Hoosier 17" DR so I think traction should be plentiful without wheel hop. But what worries me, is the last time I had no wheel hop, the axle just gave into the launch.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Honestly, the 16" rim with a 26" tire will give you a little more sidewall and cushion. Another suggestion, don't just dump the clutch, preload the clutch a little.

I know some guys on here run the diamond racing rims, where is a good place to pick up some of these.

Im still waiting on my 10.5 in rims to come in they r on backorder. If I dont get them in time would anyone be interested in renting out some rear rims and slicks w spacers and lugs..............cash in hand as long as its reasonable :D

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info