• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

03/04 Power Steering Question

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Anyone here ever change it/ drain it? I thought I had a oil leak from my breathers, but as I look more into it... and will confirm tonight, I think it's power steering fluid. I noticed right before I put it away last year that the fluid was low, so I filled with power steering fluid, however, now I find out it shoudl have been Mercon V, not regular power steering fluid. I need to change out the fluid and check for leaks... never done this before, wondering if anyone else has? How hard to change seals if that issue? Wondering if maybe I pulled to much when I changed the pulley bridge for the RR tensioner.

dajudge

dajudge
Jun 15, 2008
Anyone here ever change it/ drain it? I thought I had a oil leak from my breathers, but as I look more into it... and will confirm tonight, I think it's power steering fluid. I noticed right before I put it away last year that the fluid was low, so I filled with power steering fluid, however, now I find out it shoudl have been Mercon V, not regular power steering fluid. I need to change out the fluid and check for leaks... never done this before, wondering if anyone else has? How hard to change seals if that issue? Wondering if maybe I pulled to much when I changed the pulley bridge for the RR tensioner.

i have the same problem, havent fixed it yet, let me know what you find please !!

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
bad power steering pump, replace it

Ugh.. I went back under there... and it boggles my mind. I couldn't find my little mirror, but I really have no clue where it is leaking from. I wiped everything down and still lost. I noticed on the bottom of the pump there is a small hole, is this the release, could this be where it's coming from? Similar to a water pump?

dajudge

dajudge
Jun 15, 2008
Ugh.. I went back under there... and it boggles my mind. I couldn't find my little mirror, but I really have no clue where it is leaking from. I wiped everything down and still lost. I noticed on the bottom of the pump there is a small hole, is this the release, could this be where it's coming from? Similar to a water pump?

i found my leak ! its a metal line with a weird fitting that attaches to the bottom of the pump, its leaking from that fitting. so, i dont think its my pump, wonder if i could just replace that fitting and line ?
what is that mercron v ??? i added regular power steering fluid, will that mess something up ???

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
i found my leak ! its a metal line with a weird fitting that attaches to the bottom of the pump, its leaking from that fitting. so, i dont think its my pump, wonder if i could just replace that fitting and line ?
what is that mercron v ??? i added regular power steering fluid, will that mess something up ???

Sounds like we did the same thing :lmao: I haven't been able to find any type of instructions or how to's, but if someone has the pdf from the manual that would be great. Then we could find out how to properly drain, fill, etc. I would imagine that you could just change the fitting, but I would guess maybe there is a oring in there. I'm still trying to find out if the hole under neath the pump acts like a weep hole like a water pumps, but can't find anything on this.

As far as my leak (you may want to double check yours too, cause I originally thought like you), I think I did locate it, the angle I was looking at everything there is a line right above the coolant hose that I noticed on the clamp had some oil with dirt and stuff, that is when I noticed that the line right above it has a clamp that may be letting the oil seep from the pump. I would imagine after driving it, since it's pressurized, the pressue must go somewhere and must be leaking from here.

I'm going to see if I can just slide the clamp, it's one of those squeeze clamps and replace with a worm clamp. Then I will try to cut the old one off without disconnecting the actual hose.

dajudge

dajudge
Jun 15, 2008
Sounds like we did the same thing :lmao: I haven't been able to find any type of instructions or how to's, but if someone has the pdf from the manual that would be great. Then we could find out how to properly drain, fill, etc. I would imagine that you could just change the fitting, but I would guess maybe there is a oring in there. I'm still trying to find out if the hole under neath the pump acts like a weep hole like a water pumps, but can't find anything on this.

As far as my leak (you may want to double check yours too, cause I originally thought like you), I think I did locate it, the angle I was looking at everything there is a line right above the coolant hose that I noticed on the clamp had some oil with dirt and stuff, that is when I noticed that the line right above it has a clamp that may be letting the oil seep from the pump. I would imagine after driving it, since it's pressurized, the pressue must go somewhere and must be leaking from here.

I'm going to see if I can just slide the clamp, it's one of those squeeze clamps and replace with a worm clamp. Then I will try to cut the old one off without disconnecting the actual hose.

i agree ! if someone has that pdf, i would be in heaven !
i did find a line with the high pressure fitting for 35.00. also i hear there is a re-build kit, that has all new lines ! think its 60.00. as soon as i find out for sure, il let you know, if you find someone with the manual, please, please let me know !! thanks bro, good luck !

The_1_Duffman

can't breathe...
May 21, 2009
I have access to all the info you would need. also without a flush machine its not that easy to "flush" the pwr str fluid without risking running the pump dry and possibly damaging it. but if you do need a pump then simply remove the return line from the pwr str resevoir and run the car, the pump will do all the work in removing all fluid from the system you just need to catch it in a drain pan out of the return line. but thats if you need a pump. if you unsure with your diagnosis i am a certified Ford tech with access to any and all info neccessary and could come look at it for you. im free sunday but youll have to let me know. I see you are located in the nw burbs, im in carol stream. also any pressurized lines either have a hold down or they are threaded into somthing and have a teflon o-ring sandwiched in between, fyi.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info