• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Best Way to Remove Driver Side Manifold

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
What is the easiest way to remove the drivers side exhaust manifold. Do you need to jack the motor up or remove the steering shaft or stuff like that? The reason being is one of the studs was messed up from ford while I was putting on my x pipe so I have to take it off so I can bring it to a machine shop.
If it's the stud that's on the manifold that mates to the x pipe u can probably fit a tap there and rethread it , those studs do come out. If it's something more severe and the manifold has to come off, ur gonna need to unbolt ur motor mounts off the k member and jack up the motor so u can't get to the bolts. It's so much easier when u have a tubular k member.

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
If it's the stud that's on the manifold that mates to the x pipe u can probably fit a tap there and rethread it , those studs do come out. If it's something more severe and the manifold has to come off, ur gonna need to unbolt ur motor mounts off the k member and jack up the motor so u can't get to the bolts. It's so much easier when u have a tubular k member.

By any chance do you know what size the thread is or any good way to get the stud out?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
i drilled out one of those studs before...4 drill bits later and 2 dewalt batterys I now had a hole in the manfold, which I stuck some small ass nut and bolt thur...it was really gay. If I knew what I know now, I would heat up the manifold until cherry hot, and use a impact on the hex of the stud...

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
what is a good way to get the stud out then

Ok picture 1&2 show the male stud that goes into the manifold, the ones on my manifold are actually longer they are from napa. I put them on so the x fit was easier. Same theread pattern and nut so no worries.

Pic 3 as you can see there is a flat head on the stud, ford puts a 1/4 in on the top of the stock one so its easier for removal. The easiest way to remove them is with an impact. Drive your nut all the way down and back it out, since you still didnt specify what your actural problem is Im elaborating on all situations.

Pic 4 shows the female end in the manifold, if that is cross threaded than you need a tap like in the background, you can fit this in without removal of the manifold. You can even fit a dye backthere and turn it slowly til you rethread the stud.

Picture 5 just kinda gives you an idea of how the dye can fit on. Its been a while since I looked at stocker manifolds on a cobra but Im sure you will have room for the Dye. Hope this helps.

Last but not least the thread pattern is metric M10x1.5

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 51

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
i drilled out one of those studs before...4 drill bits later and 2 dewalt batterys I now had a hole in the manfold, which I stuck some small ass nut and bolt thur...it was really gay. If I knew what I know now, I would heat up the manifold until cherry hot, and use a impact on the hex of the stud...

Kevin is right, impact is the way to go, if you dont have one, get one, you wont use it just one time I promise you that.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
OK here's what I did. My xpipe wouldn't seal because of the genious design, so I had to replace all of the studs (pics show why).

I took 3 nuts (two wasn't enough, they were that tight), threaded them on, got them as TIGHT together as I possibly could, torched the hell out of it and then finally, after alot of pushing and turning, broke it loose and just put my own bolt through there with washers and a nut. Worked like a charm, but those things are in there so goddamn tight it can be hard.

http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21476

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
OK here's what I did. My xpipe wouldn't seal because of the genious design, so I had to replace all of the studs (pics show why).

I took 3 nuts (two wasn't enough, they were that tight), threaded them on, got them as TIGHT together as I possibly could, torched the hell out of it and then finally, after alot of pushing and turning, broke it loose and just put my own bolt through there with washers and a nut. Worked like a charm, but those things are in there so goddamn tight it can be hard.

http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21476
Yes those r stock studs, notice the tapered top , that's to take of the stud a vice grips , in alot of cases depending on brand of x pipe they r too short this is why I went to longer stud.

Dewalt03cobra

Dewalt03Cobra
Dec 3, 2004

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Your using the wrong Drill bit or using it wrong.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info