• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Intercooler Issue

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Last fall I was driving it early morning 40 degree weather to work and noticed a nice stream of steam/spray going up the passenger side of the windshield going down the interstate. Made to work a few minutes later and noticed it was my intercooler res blowing out from under the cap. Topped the tank with some water and got it home later that night. Jumpered it that night but noticed the pump wouldnt come on every time and figured the pump was shot. I got a new pump but didnt get to the car again until earlier this week. New pump is in and still cant get anything to cycle back into the tank.
Stock intercooler expansion, LFP dual pass heat exchanger
I just changed out the intercooler pump, filled the tank and ran it. Nothing came through and I figured it was air locked. I got a vacuum pump, jumpered it again and turned the pump on. Coolant streamed out and into the tank. A lot of bubbles came out so I decided to hit it a few more time to make sure. Put it all back together and tried jumpering it and its not circulating it back into the tank. I can hear the pump spinning and it sounds like bubbles crackling in the pump with it or maybe it’s just noisy but it’s not throwing it back to the tank. I hit it again with the vacuum and no bubbles came out but spewed it to the tank. I’m still getting the same thing… nothing back into the tank with just the pump.
Anyone know of any common restrictions that may be occurring in the intercooler system to keep the fluid from coming back into the tank? I’m stumped. I really don’t want to have to pull the blower and intercooler to physically look if I don’t have to.

Anything that could be blocked somewhere in the heat exchanger, in/out point on the front of the intercooler or inside the intercooler itself etc?
I dont have the new cap on it when jumpering it. Possible there is a leak somewhere letting the air vacuum in and its just not leaking out because of no pressure?
When I went to get the new cap the guy tells me that they used to see these cars come in quite a bit with similar issues. Told me it was found that the Ford Prem Gold is weak sauce. After 2 years like clockwork it starts to breakdown and turns into gel beads and clogs the tubing inside the intercooler under the blower. Have to pull the blower and clean it out with radiator flush. I didnt want to call bullshit on it cuz ive heard some really big WHOPPERS that have turned out to be true in the past, but Im sure I would have heard of this.

FUGGIN LOST

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
hold a sec, I remember seeing a post on SVTP about someone with a situation similar to this he was trying to diagnose. I remember him saying something about a bleed valve on the top of the LFP dual Pass H/E/ I wonder if it spun open?????????????????????
I dont remember seeing one of my new one I sold last fall and I havent really looked at this one close. Anyone know if there is a bleed valve on that H/E?
I cant find that post now

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Told me it was found that the Ford Prem Gold is weak sauce. After 2 years like clockwork it starts to breakdown and turns into gel beads and clogs the tubing inside the intercooler under the blower. Have to pull the blower and clean it out with radiator flush. I didnt want to call bullshit on it cuz ive heard some really big WHOPPERS that have turned out to be true in the past,

I'd be surprised if this was true. I'd imagine Ford uses quality fluids in their cars for longevity.

I've known people with 12 year old Ford vehicles that have never changed the coolant and they're OK.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I think it's vapor lock. My car was doing that also. I have a switch to turn my pump on or off at will, but sometimes it would spin and do nothing until the car sat for a while. This was when I used to go to the track a a lot more like in 05-06. I then got the head job done for the tick in like 07, don't hold me to the dates, but I swear after the refill it was fine and did NOT do it the few times I raced afterwards. I always park the car into the wind and run that cooler with the cap loose to cool the intake and it works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info