• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

heat exchanger

cobralover

Oct 19, 2007
couple questions for you guys. first is, i bought an afco pro series HE and was wondering what was the best antifreeze to put back into it and ratio of water(if any). take into consideration i live in the northeast and DO NOT drive this in the winter. its garaged(not heated). secondly i wanted to stencil SVT on it and cant seem to locate these same stencils i see on other peoples cars. any answers are appreciated.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Bc technically it's designed for intercoolers the stuff u get from the dealer has a label on it srtctly intercooler fluid. And if u look on the back it has different chemical compounds than antifreeze. I run 75%water (distilled) in summer months I have found this to work best for heat soak. B careful and drain it in winter months and run the motorcrcraft stuff.

To each is own I have seen people run green fluid I assume it's antifreeze. I wouldn't.:D

Slow99x

ZOMBIE kill of the week
Jul 20, 2007
That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. If antifreeze didn't have cooling properties then it wouldn't be used in engines. If you have an unheated garage guess what whould happen to a jug of water if you left it out there when it's -10 outside. It would freeze. Now if you left something in a metal container that couldn't expand like plastic it would pop the welds as it froze solid. The proper mixture of antifreeze and water will not only keep your inter cooler cool but keep it from freezing, hence the name ANTIFREEZE.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. If antifreeze didn't have cooling properties then it wouldn't be used in engines. If you have an unheated garage guess what whould happen to a jug of water if you left it out there when it's -10 outside. It would freeze. Now if you left something in a metal container that couldn't expand like plastic it would pop the welds as it froze solid. The proper mixture of antifreeze and water will not only keep your inter cooler cool but keep it from freezing, hence the name ANTIFREEZE.
Where did u read a post about antifreeze not having cooling properties cuz I didn't c it? Not sure what post ur replying to but if u leave straight water in a intercooler or radiator in winter time in unheated garage than ur not too smart.

Run the motorcraft intercooler fluid at winter it's already premixed and like someone stated throw in water wetter. In summer u can run distilled water w like 20% intercooler fluid u will b fine. Just don't forget to change back.

Slow99x

ZOMBIE kill of the week
Jul 20, 2007
Where did u read a post about antifreeze not having cooling properties cuz I didn't c it? Not sure what post ur replying to but if u leave straight water in a intercooler or radiator in winter time in unheated garage than ur not too smart.

Run the motorcraft intercooler fluid at winter it's already premixed and like someone stated throw in water wetter. In summer u can run distilled water w like 20% intercooler fluid u will b fine. Just don't forget to change back.
It was in Izzy's post actually. "You do not want to put antifreeze in there". I run a premixed 50/50 of antifreeze and distiller water. Water has better cooling but antifreeze has anticorrosive properties. I suppose in warm climates you could get away with a 75/25 mix.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Just run 50/50 mix of the same fluid that is in your radiator.
Why complicate things any more than they are already?

Ford uses 2 varieties of coolant, yellow and green. Check what is in the radiator and get a gallon of that from Ford.

Everybody listen to Dan.

That's what I've got in mine and I've had no trouble. Changed it twice since I've had the car and I run mine in winter too.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
It was in Izzy's post actually. "You do not want to put antifreeze in there". I run a premixed 50/50 of antifreeze and distiller water. Water has better cooling but antifreeze has anticorrosive properties. I suppose in warm climates you could get away with a 75/25 mix.

Absolutely right, if you leave straight water in there it will start to corrode your intercooler. Thats why i usually have 25% coolant in there in summer, I dont wanna take a chance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info