• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Which canned tune & which dyno?

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Basically I am looking to get a tuner with preloaded tune, and a cheap (reliable) dyno to check my AFR (and to see the numbers)on.
I want to pick one up the tuner today or get it shipped soon. I would like to get it from one of the more local distributors if possible.
My mods are a "home ported" blower with a 2.8 pulley, K&N Intake, UPR Offroad X, Magnaflow catback.
I will be getting a full tune down the road, but right now tuner AND tune work out to $700. So, i want a good canned tune to patch me up until I get my other blower ported, and all the supporting mods in place. Cobra is not my DD and mainly sits in the garage for now.
I know that Bob is the man to take my car to, and I know that nothing is safer than a real tune. But, with the purchase of the tuner I just cannot afford to pay $300 at this time. I am starting from a scratch so I had to get the BF idlers, pulley, bought a spare blower, TR7IX sparkplugs, etc - so, it all added up on me. My emissions testing is due this month, too - so, I do have to get the tuner and the rear O2s turned off.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
i can offer you CUSTOM mail order tunes on either a predator or SCT for the same price as a canned version... Ive got both in stock. Give me a call and i can ship today!

Ill even make a note on the invoice to give you the discounted rate on dyno tuning when you get around to it...

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
i can offer you CUSTOM mail order tunes on either a predator or SCT for the same price as a canned version... Ive got both in stock. Give me a call and i can ship today!

Ill even make a note on the invoice to give you the discounted rate on dyno tuning when you get around to it...

This is the way to go! "Canned" tunes are dangerous IMO. I did the mail order cutom tune thing for 2 years will good results, but I would still strongly suggest a custom dyno tune once the funds allow. :biggthump

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
i have purchased the tuner from Bob. Got a great deal on it, too. And, huge thumbs up from me (amongst many others) for putting up with a gazillion questions. lol
Now, all I need a local dyno just to check my AFR & see the numbers. Looking for something withing 30 min from Gurnee area, and just 3 dyno pulls with afr & numbers printout.
So, Dyno inputs please.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
i have purchased the tuner from Bob. Got a great deal on it, too. And, huge thumbs up from me (amongst many others) for putting up with a gazillion questions. lol
Now, all I need a local dyno just to check my AFR & see the numbers. Looking for something withing 30 min from Gurnee area, and just 3 dyno pulls with afr & numbers printout.
So, Dyno inputs please.

Speed inc is literally 30-35 minutes from you.. I would set it up with larry to make some passes... this way, when we go to tune it later in the year, i will make a trip out there so we can overlay the graphs! Larry??? You there??

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
30-35 min sounds pretty good, especially for a reputable shop like them.
I will give them a call to see how much they'd charge for some base pulls.

And, Bob - thanks alot for shipping out the tuner already. Took less than an hour since our conversation. :eek2::eek:

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Just a quick update... I got the tuner today (day after ordering!), loaded the tune up and took the car out. And I must say that butt-dyno definitely approves. :) Car feels much stronger now, and pulls like a raped ape.
Only concerns that I have is that I am only seeing 10lbs of boost. But, I am on the stock size belt, still - and I do have to change out the plugs (car is breaking up a bit on top end). And, I not sure if that home port really opened up the blower up that much.
My tr7IXs will be here tomorrow along with the BilletFlow 4 piece pulley setup, and I'll get a NAPA belt and then off to dyno. More info to follow - as well as the pics and info on the home port. :)

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Finally got everything worked out today.
Put on the BF 4 piece idler set, and replaced the plugs with NGK TR7IX (gapped at .035), and then took the car out for a spin again. And even though it pulls strong I was just seeing 10lbs of boost steady. :/
Then, after the noobness wore off, I found out that there is a little pin behind the actual needle on the boost gauge that was stopping it from going any higher. Once that simple "mod" was complete I am seeing ~14lbs of boost. Which sounds about right to me for those temps and 2.8 pulley.
All that is left is get a new belt (just for the sake of it - and I am going to try to squeeze a 74.5" on there) tomorrow, and @ 2 I have scheduled dyno time. I am anxious as hell to see what my home port did and what she'll put down.

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
car put down 472Whp today. The tach signal cable was jacked up so no TQ numbers yet :/
I will be back at it with KB Boost-a-pump and MAF installed. Should have Bob tune it in about month. I am pretty sure that it should be over 500whp, and I am realy glad to see that my home-made port job is performing well.

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Another update.....
Car is getting tuned on Tuesday by Bob Kurgan (detailed pics of the porting, dyno sheet & more to follow. As well as the vid of the pulls). I am planning to open up the TB & plenum a bit more this weekend, and I am really curious to see what the car will put down on a 2.8 upper and a home port :) Either way I am more than happey with the way it performs now though I am sure that after the tune it will be an even bigger monster. And this should conclude my modding for the summer. Then by the next spring I should have all the fuel mods and a whipple on there. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info