• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need help with turbo intake

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
so I'm going turbo when ever my taxes decide to come. I need your help in making my mind up on a intake setup. I really don't want to go with an intake setup from a 99/01 Cobra. I was thinking about either a sheet metal intake from procharger or MMR. I've included pics below. With either of these two intakes I have the option to re-use my heat exchanger/intercooler that mounted below my supercharger. Now if I did that I would be also using the intercooler behide the front bumper. I've seen a couple people useing this setup, but I don't know what the out come was. I think it would help the intake temps alittle. On the other hand it may be to restricting. I kinda like the MMR Intake more if that helps. So please give me your thoughts on this matter.

4VUpper.jpg

prochargerintake.jpg

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
What does piecing a POS turbo kit have to do with buying the right intake. Most turbo kits don't include a intake manifold any way. So lets say I was buying a Hellion Single Turbo kit. This does not include a intake manifold. They tell you to buy a intake setup from a 99/01 Cobra. The point is that I don't want to use that style. So there is no piecing together a POS turbo kit. I just want thoughts on the intake setup that I ask about above.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
What does piecing a POS turbo kit have to do with buying the right intake. Most turbo kits don't include a intake manifold any way. So lets say I was buying a Hellion Single Turbo kit. This does not include a intake manifold. They tell you to buy a intake setup from a 99/01 Cobra. The point is that I don't want to use that style. So there is no piecing together a POS turbo kit. I just want thoughts on the intake setup that I ask about above.

goddammit, do not read into it man! from experience...do alot of research, read alot and get the entire combo on paper before you buy. This way you will the hae the best stuff that works the best with everything else!!!

JEASUSFUCKINCHRIST!!! im tryin to help!

Slow99x

ZOMBIE kill of the week
Jul 20, 2007
You should not use the stock intercooler. A front mounted side-to-side intercooler is best for a street car. Most kits for Mustangs come with a crappy top to bottom intercooler and they SUCK. Most of the power in an air-to-air setup is in the end tank design. There must be a smooth flow (no edges or square shapes) and size (the larger the better). Here is a good example: http://dvdtfab.com/?p=31

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I still am going to use the air/air in the front. But what if I also used the heat exchanger that mounted under the supercharger on the new intake manifold. Good idea, bad idea, too much. Have any of you seen what I'm referring to?

my question is how you gonna mount the HE and the FMIC together, both are rather large and theres not much room behind that bumper.

Also, one or the other is gonna restrict flow to each other and there for one wont cool off as fast, there for defeating the purpose of it.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
I'm not saying I going to use this setup. In my searching I came across a few people that had this setup. Also it would work the same way a Hellion Hellraiser Kit would work, just minus one turbo and the supercharger. They made it work so there should be no problem.
Some one else on here has to know what I'm talking about.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not saying I going to use this setup. In my searching I came across a few people that had this setup. Also it would work the same way a Hellion Hellraiser Kit would work, just minus one turbo and the supercharger. They made it work so there should be no problem.
Some one else on here has to know what I'm talking about.

I dunno, i personally wouldnt do it. Its alot of work for very little gains IF any. If all you're doing is lookin for power, why try something unproven? Do something thats proven to work.

Thats just my opinion on how i would do it, but if you want to try it, go for it. its your car.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Done. Bob, do you think that the MMR Upper Intake and the stock 03/04 lower intake would work out ok. It's got to be better then a stock 99\01 setup. Maybe??????
Can't decide between a 76mm or a 78mm Precision. Either one I go with will have a .81 A/R. though.

i think either turbo will be fine... the 76mm is good to about 800rwhp and i would assume the 78 is good to 850rwhp+

The MMR upper and stock lower should work pretty well IMO!

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
my question is how you gonna mount the HE and the FMIC together, both are rather large and theres not much room behind that bumper.

Also, one or the other is gonna restrict flow to each other and there for one wont cool off as fast, there for defeating the purpose of it.

plus an oil cooler, natch. hopefully the original poster isnt planning on doing something oh lets call it 'less than ideal' by keeping the stupid factory oil pre-heater on an 800hp car...

we used to get these guys in high school - "give me the biggest cam I can get" and "850 double pumper on a single plane intake" and then they'd wonder why me, with my midrange cam, dual plane intake, and 750 with vac sec, would smoke them - THE COMBINATION HAS TO WORK TOGETHER.

Lots of people have come before us and scienced out the combinations.

Just because you can buy the part, doesn't mean it works with any other parts in a given combination.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info