• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

1 5/8 vs 1 3/4 LT's

Is there much of a hp difference if any between the 2? I'm trying to decide if spending the extra money to go with ARH or Kooks over mac's LT's is worth it. I don't drive my car in the winter at all so I don't really have to worry about them rusting rite? I would go with ceramic coated if I went with macs.

There is a pretty big price difference between the 2 brands. For kooks and a matching mid-pipe its like $1,400.00+, same with ARH. Where as I can get Mac's with a matching mid-pipe for about $600-$700 shipped to my house. Pretty big price difference lol.

Painter

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Is there much of a hp difference if any between the 2? I'm trying to decide if spending the extra money to go with ARH or Kooks over mac's LT's is worth it. I don't drive my car in the winter at all so I don't really have to worry about them rusting rite? I would go with ceramic coated if I went with macs.

There is a pretty big price difference between the 2 brands. For kooks and a matching mid-pipe its like $1,400.00+, same with ARH. Where as I can get Mac's with a matching mid-pipe for about $600-$700 shipped to my house. Pretty big price difference lol.

I know where to get you a set of kooks with O/R X for about $1250 shipped. Otherwise, from what I have read if your going to make over 700rwhp get the larger primaries it will help......not a huge difference but it will help (prob like 10-15rwhp) I'm in the same boat, I like the kooks but that comes with a cost. The MAC is good too but what will end up happening is they will rust through from the inside over time..........if you drive on nothing but sunny days it might take 10+yrs to rust through but eventually it will. Just my .02

Ray

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
I'll never spend money willingly on exhaust parts that are not stainless.

MAC had some serious issues a while back whereby they werent cleaning the welding slag out of the tubes and the egr would suck metal particles through the engine.

these cars like a little backpressure. unless you're pushing 30 pounds of boost, stick with the smaller primaries.

as always, its only an opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. my opinions are fully guaranteed - if you aren't completely satisfied, the next opinion is free.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
Nothing negative to say about my kooks outside of ground clearance, I hear they have since fixed that issue though. MAC has improved their LT's a lot from what I hear but imo you can't get much better than Kooks, American Racing, or Stainless Works.

I'm running the Kooks LT's w 3" collectors, they sound pretty badass matched up with my catted H and SLP LM1 catback, kinda loud though.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Here's a take on it.......Why buy long tubes in the first place? 10-15HP, screw that, for all that money, WTF? I bought shorties for sound, sound I can understand, but performance? That's just not in the cards for me, especially when KB claims 740HP through the stock exhaust with a 2.8.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
unfortunately i had to drive my car last winter cause my DD broke down so this is what my MAC's looked like after a full year of driving in all weather conditions... Not to bad if you ask me considering they saw lots of salt

IMG00176.jpg

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
Here's a take on it.......Why buy long tubes in the first place? 10-15HP, screw that, for all that money, WTF? I bought shorties for sound, sound I can understand, but performance? That's just not in the cards for me, especially when KB claims 740HP through the stock exhaust with a 2.8.

10-15hp and probably around 30ftlbs..

And alot of people like to get the most power out of their car without adding alot of boost, its safer too...

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008

i gained 26 rwhp and 19 rwtq with bassani mids...did before and after dyno so its accurate ...then a few months later i changed setups and went to LTs and gained 12 more rwtq and hp didnt change..

so all in all 26 rwhp and 31 rwtq

its more than worth it when you strap on a kb or whipple:D

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
685-720HP does it really matter? I know there's something to be gained but even with 75HP less with a better driver and you'll be crying every time anyway. Save your money. Now the sound, well that's another story, so buy'em. Long tubes with an OR H-pipe and flowmasters makes me break down cry every time.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
While you may not see a huge gain up top if you check out a graph of before and after long tubes there are gains throughout the powerband typically. In addition to the power gains there is also a gain in efficiency, resulting in a drop in boost. If you up the boost to where you were prior to the headers then you will see even more gains.

You are also benefitting by getting all that hot air out of the motor, which we all know our blower love to create.

All in all, unless you are installing a K member or pulling the motor for some reason then I don't know if the work and cost of a set of headers is really worth all the time and money.

If you want to get every drop of performance out of your motor then they should definitely be on your list of things to do.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
that has to be one of the stupidst things i have heard

who spends that much money for a little sound

just buy a whistle tip if you want some noise

Now now, it's just an opinion, don't be calling me stupid. There's plenty of other things that apply. My comments mainly refer to the 03-04 Cobras, I don't know about other cars. When you've been to as many meets as I have and you hear the different cars and you consider the different setups you can see why the sound is worth the investment, well, I can anyway.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
Now now, it's just an opinion, don't be calling me stupid. There's plenty of other things that apply. My comments mainly refer to the 03-04 Cobras, I don't know about other cars. When you've been to as many meets as I have and you hear the different cars and you consider the different setups you can see why the sound is worth the investment, well, I can anyway.

But... If you are going to spend the money why not purchase a product that will benefit you the most?

As I stated earlier long tubes do more than just show you power gains up top.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info