• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need Brakes and Rotors - Suggestions or Hook Ups?

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Well
I have been hearing a little noise out back and took Zippy in to get things checked out. I had suspected the pads were getting worn down as I'm just under 60K miles and the tech confirmed it for me hahahaha He pointed out that all the pads were worn down enough that they should be replaced and his visual inspection of the rotors pointed towards "iffy" for turning them, guessing they will need to be replaced too.
The estimate came back and the $'s added up fast! The SVT Focus parts are larger and all cost A LOT more then what I was thinking. I know they have some good profit built into the parts...but OUCH!

Have any of you all out there had your brakes done at a shop or dealer around the area?
Did you find a good deal or bring your own parts in?
Where should I look to find parts at a good price or Hook Up?

Is the job a big PITA which should just be brought to a shop or the dealer? Or is this something that could be done in the garage on a Sat afternoon?

She's not a race car, but my daily driver so what about recommendations on the replacement pads n' stuff?
Maybe a brand or type to choose and Where to get the best deal?

Thanks for the info
TimmaY

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
On a street car I would just use the $29 Raybestos ceramic pads and cheapo Advanced Auto Parts rotors.

That being said, if it was my SVT Focus I would have either Brembo or Powerslot rotors with some Hawk or EBC pads because I'm a idiot and know I'll take it out sometime on a road course eventually:eek:h:

You usually don't have to worry about warping ebay rotors on the street, lots of purdy cadium plated ones available on there:dancenana:

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
New Front Rotor and brake pad
FrontRotor.jpg

New Rear Rotor and brake pad
RearRotor.jpg

Sorry - Didn't have my digital, so pictures taken with the cell phone, but you can still see the quality of the Centric Rotors - well above what I was expecting.

I rolled down to my friends house Sat morning with my new rotors and pads in back getting excited about swapping stuff out. After getting Zippy up on stands and the rims off we start pulling brake parts apart - struggling with a crazy spring on one side and having the other side assembly just fall right off lol Then out back where we find the rear pads are worn down to the nub some how and the rotors have managed to rust them selves to the hubs $%^&!
Ben pulls out his secret weapon - the air hammer and it hammers away on the rotors until they finally break loose....and maybe nick one of the wheel studs in the process hahaha Now off on a parts run and to pick up a burger. With some gentle nudges from the rubber mallet, a spring flying off just missing an eye and some choice words - most everything goes back together. After spend most of the day working on the swap (expected it to only take about three hours) I then made a very quiet ride back home.

I could not have got the job done at my place alone - no air tools and I don't know if I would have figured out some of the tricks to get the brakes apart. If your car has a lot of miles on it in an area with snow and salt I wouldn’t recommend doing this yourself without the proper tools. Lots of rust, corrosion and other crap build up on these parts making is a PITA. Although we planned the project to take much less time, I know I had a lot of fun messing around, BSing and finally getting the car back together.

Slow brake-in Sat night that will continue on my commute this week.
So far the Monroe ceramic pads are VERY quiet and produce almost no dust.
Can't wait to try them out harder later this week.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info