• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Cltuch advice PLEASE!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I like my DFX, but it's not for everyone. The one in the car now has the worst chatter of the 3 I've owned, but it's still VERY acceptable for street duty.

Now the DFX/Stock IRS/MT DR Combo (aka the "Half-Shaft Killa" Combo) is a whole different problem. :eek:

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
...Dont get a DFX :-( i hate mine!!

Really? I loved mine and believe larry and carl (10 second track junkies) love theirs too

I like my DFX, but it's not for everyone. The one in the car now has the worst chatter of the 3 I've owned, but it's still VERY acceptable for street duty.

Now the DFX/Stock IRS/MT DR Combo (aka the "Half-Shaft Killa" Combo) is a whole different problem. :eek:

I love mine too! ..and Larry is right that combo above is the HSK...

...DD = sucks ass...

If by DD you mean sitting in traffic for an hour in stop and go, yes it get's annoying, but I adjust and leave some buffer and idle(people behind me hate it, but F%CK them!). If it's driving around town and having fun, then I disagree you should be able to live with it.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I have a Mcleaod Twin, as some of you know, but I can never get going if I am headed up hill. I have to double, sometimes triple clutch just to get a bite, and this is new or old, well old is worse, but WTF?

I figured last night at the track would tell me, well what It told me was it was going to just "melt" it's way to lock up out of first as apoosed to the BAD ASS BITE I'm used to, not even a bark hitting second, and I swear when I hit fouth it just didn't bite, it took a second to lock up vibrating like crazy, and it's been doing that stuff the hotter it gets. It seems the parts swell, and the clutch goes to hell.

When new, other than a hard pedal, I can't complain about DD, and I do NOT remember the starting up hill deal, that always seems to come toward the end. I have to spend another 400.00 to get back to being able to use a single disc setup, but after reading what you guys say, I will probably just send it in for refinishing AGAIN and be done with it.

No news on being able to use the new GT500 set up? That's what I was hoping for.

Could some of you elaborate a little about what you do NOT like in daily driving with a Spec 3+?

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
yes the stop and go is killing me...not fun stuff

They're all a pain in the ass in traffic, I quit sitting in traffic after I got my first GT in 85, I would just get off and eat, get a few beers in a new bar, but NO, sit in traffic, NO so I don't count that. It's trying to get up mydrive way with clucth that can't handle a car that's trying to roll backwards on take off, it's just butter, 2-3 pulls and finnaly I'm moving, it's so strange. I hit at 5500 and damn near jump 50', but I can't get up an incline, well, ok 50% of the time, it's like it has a mind of it's own which gets HORRIBLE towards the end, IF, I am at the end, I can't tell. These McLeod twins are the strangest clutches I have EVER used.

BIGONTS

Addict
May 23, 2005
Hey Dennis. My car is due for a new clutch also and I probably willl be putting one in this winter. I'm getting things together and have a Fidanze flywheel and getting a 26-spline input shaft. I drive my car 99% on the street and want something I can live with. I don't anticipate my car pushing over 550hp to the rear wheels any time soon.

I've been doing a lot of research and will be getting a Ram Powergrip HD. A Spec 3+ would my second choice. It seems like the DFX is a hit or miss, or there's a trick in installing it?? Ratt Fink and a bunch of other well-respected members on Modfords.com have had a lot of RD and experience, and great luck with the Ram clutch.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
your clutch was more than 10% worse than stock...try like 40% - 50%....i've never seen a clutch pedal that hard to push in Dennis....and I've driven alot of them......

Well I guess it was then, I just don't remember stock too well, but I do know what a beotch the new McLeod was, and this one that's a little softer has always been strange, the hotter, the worse it gets. You'd think it would swell and work better, but no, it actually gives up.

I'm going to check out the Ram comments, I bet they got it down since it took them a while to step up.

Last night was the first time driving since Tuesday's Drags and it would slip in 6th, & 5th for just a bit once it got hot, but cold it was just fine. One thing I have to say is I know my car, and I am thankfull for what I have learned on this board as well as others, it's been a rock solid little Bastard all this time and it's because of your help, so thanks again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info