• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

blurping/flushing cooling system and leakdown/comp test

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
i am trying to figure out if i am begining to blow a head gasket or if i just have an air bubble in the coolant system. how do i go about burping the system? i would also like to flush the whole system but unsure as to how to do it myself.

i guess it would be a good idea to do a compression/leakdown test before i start taking it apart to replace the head gaskets. although, i was told that doing these tests may not help in showing that the head gasket is blown.

i do not have any traces off coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant reservoir. this problem arose at the track when i made some paces. after the pass, the temp shot up to 240-250. coolant was spewing out of the resevoir. i was thinking maybe i overfilled the system? i was able to drive the car home with no issues. the motor runs fine and stays at about 190 when cruising.

if anyone on here could help me with a compression/leakdown test that would be great.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
tryed to search myself but i was unable to find out what the difference is between those 2 gaskets?

will the heads go on without having to pull the motor with those studs?

ive used both... i believe one has a steel fire ring and the other has some other material for the fire ring.. either will do fine..

as far as studs, you can always remove them prior to removing the head. the new studs have allen head recesses on the top..

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL

sshocker96

Regular
Sep 13, 2005
Stock Cobra heads/lower/upper. From what I read, the Fel Pro MS95952 is listed for the 'newer' 302 motors like explorers. I picked it up @autozone & it was much better than what was listed for a 87-93. At some point autozone updated their records, because when I entered my info on my first rebuild whatever the standard lower gasket was came up, on my second rebuild nearly a year later, the 95952 came up.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Stock Cobra heads/lower/upper. From what I read, the Fel Pro MS95952 is listed for the 'newer' 302 motors like explorers. I picked it up @autozone & it was much better than what was listed for a 87-93. At some point autozone updated their records, because when I entered my info on my first rebuild whatever the standard lower gasket was came up, on my second rebuild nearly a year later, the 95952 came up.

so it does fit. thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info