• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Aftermarket Car Radios, what do you have?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
So after installing the Dieseliner's and Poopers new radios I have been heavily contemplating changing the radio in the Cobra. So I'm curious, I remember reading something about losing the use of the built in amplifiers in the Mach 460 system... is this true?

Here is why I ask I spent more on the Alpine than the no name Dual, but I will tell you for the money, I wouldn't mind dropping the Dual in the Cobra... it has a built in HD receiver, plays all CD formats, except DVDs, has a USB connection for any type of MP3 player and also an Aux in for let's say portable Sat. and all for under $150 with installation kit and wiring harness.

What head unit do you have and what good things come with it? What's the price? Not looking to break the bank, but I'm ashamed the Pooper has a better radio than the Cobra!

Thanks!

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I can't get CD's back out of my unit without FKN around with it MOST of the time so I was thinking of upgrading also, but I have to also point out that I listen to the CAR most of the time, I just love the sounds, I swear my exhaust is an orchestra.....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
So after installing the Dieseliner's and Poopers new radios I have been heavily contemplating changing the radio in the Cobra. So I'm curious, I remember reading something about losing the use of the built in amplifiers in the Mach 460 system... is this true?

Here is why I ask I spent more on the Alpine than the no name Dual, but I will tell you for the money, I wouldn't mind dropping the Dual in the Cobra... it has a built in HD receiver, plays all CD formats, except DVDs, has a USB connection for any type of MP3 player and also an Aux in for let's say portable Sat. and all for under $150 with installation kit and wiring harness.

What head unit do you have and what good things come with it? What's the price? Not looking to break the bank, but I'm ashamed the Pooper has a better radio than the Cobra!

Thanks!

The aftermarket radio will work just have to buy the wiring harness and you are good to go. The only thing that wont work with the Mach head unit is an aftermarket amplifier you have to purchase an line output adaptor because the Mach uses a lower voltage I learned that the hard way:-o.....if you are interested I do still have that Alpine CD headunit maybe 2 years old....its just sitting in the closet the only reason i pulled it was the g/f bought me an IPOD and I wanted to be able to plug in thru the radio you can have it cheap. If your interested let me know:)

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
off topic prictor, what diesel did you end up buying?

:lmao: Nothing yet... I was talking about the wife's Beetle, it's Dieseliner... :lmao:

The aftermarket radio will work just have to buy the wiring harness and you are good to go. The only thing that wont work with the Mach head unit is an aftermarket amplifier you have to purchase an line output adaptor because the Mach uses a lower voltage I learned that the hard way:-o.....if you are interested I do still have that Alpine CD headunit maybe 2 years old....its just sitting in the closet the only reason i pulled it was the g/f bought me an IPOD and I wanted to be able to plug in thru the radio you can have it cheap. If your interested let me know:)

Thanks for the 411, good to know. I will have to pass on the head unit though, cause I think I am going to go with the same one in the pooper. Makes things easier :lmao: You did know there is a for sale section on here, right?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info