• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Cobra down 50 RWHP - Ideas?

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
I had the car on a dyno just to see where I was @ before the Whipple. To my surprise the car dyno'ed @ 412 RWHP.

When the car put down 463/463 I had the following done:

AFCO H/E
Intake
2.76 upper
Stock Mid Pipe
SLP LMII Exhaust
Tuned

Now, @ 412 the only differences:
1) Changed Mid Pipe from stock to Pro Chamber.
2) SLP LMII Exhaust to Bassani.
3) Just changed the intake filter to a clean/new one just before the dyno test. The other one was pretty dirty.
4) Suspension (e.g. Sub Frames etc.) work done - shouldn't matter.
5) Rears from 275/40 to 315/35.
6) Running a *little* rich.

Car was fine boost wise... No vacuum leaks to be found...

On my way there, 30 min. drive, I never had it into boost.

Jim suggested a compression test, but, wondering if anyone else has any ideas -or- just chalk it up to warm engine and need a new tune?..?

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
Those tires will make a nice drag on the dyno plus your running rich so...between those two that's where the power went

K, that was what I was told (running a bit rich / tire size) were the main diffs. I just didn't think it made that much of difference. Shows you what I know.

Tune was spot on with the orignal setup and haven't had it tuned since.

Thx for the input Kevin.

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
I assume this was on the same dyno as the first numbers?

Yeah I am sure the bigger/heaver tires ate up some power... you would also lose some without a good cooldown and even more if it was running a bit rich. 50 hp is a lot though. :dunno:

Agree... 50 seems a tad high.

Same dyno - yes.

I'll just chalk it up to tires, need a new tune from Mr. K and cool down.

Everything else seemed to be fine.

Thx Carl.

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
first pull was around 30 rwhp after maybe a 15 minute cool down from the drive in

2nd pull was 412 , but even more heat soaked ( 5 minute cool down ) so that's expected

tune was approx 1/2 point richer then previous dyno / tune

heat soaked

wheels / tires

muffler with the Bassani over none with the SLP LM can show a small HP loss

Mac Pro-chamber over stock mid-pipe could show some TQ loss

rainy day and humidity up doesn't help either

loss bigger then I would expect..sure

lots of thing to contribute to lower #'s....don't see anything to really worry about as mentioned Sat.

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
first pull was around 30 rwhp after maybe a 15 minute cool down from the drive in

2nd pull was 412 , but even more heat soaked ( 5 minute cool down ) so that's expected

tune was approx 1/2 point richer then previous dyno / tune

heat soaked

wheels / tires

muffler with the Bassani over none with the SLP LM can show a small HP loss

Mac Pro-chamber over stock mid-pipe could show some TQ loss

rainy day and humidity up doesn't help either

loss bigger then I would expect..sure

lots of thing to contribute to lower #'s....don't see anything to really worry about as mentioned Sat.

Thanks Larry :)

Its amazing how much stupid little things can mess with cars!

No kidding... That and the fact I'm just not as well versed as most that freq. the site.

Like woman drivers?

Don't tell Wiked L that. :)

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
On a dyno jet, just changing from a factory 275 to the Nitto 315 the car lost 8hp...:dunno:

Yeah... 275 to 315's among the other things that were said. I was just surprised. No big, if I want a couple extra HP maybe I'll just swap out the mid-pipe and cb again :rolleyes:

Oh well... Goes in for the New Gen. Whipple this month :headbang:

Speed Inc. & Kurgan FTW!

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
ive seen a 10degree diff. in air temp rob 30hp so if it was warmer and more humid than your last pull ,then thats where your power went. tires wouldnt make that big a diff. if they are the same diameter just wider. if they are taller then you will loose some power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info