• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

clutch noise or what?

Jul 7, 2006
I know this is the Cobra section but I have the same issue on my 03' GT. With the 3650. When the car is started and sits at idle there is a faint winding/whine noise. When I step on the clutch it goes away instantly. I just started noticing it last week. Any help would be appreciated as well.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Get yourself a firewall adjuster or adjustable clutch cable....I had the same issue kind of a chatter or maybe a chirping noise drove my ass nuts and sitting at a light people looked at me like my car was about to explode:rolleyes:....I went with Steeda. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM BBK!!!! Biggest piece of shit:mad:

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Mine kind of has this slight whistle just when I release it then it goes away. Dont get freaked out about the noises these transmissions are not going to ever make you think you are in a luxury car they whine, moan, groan, and take some time to master shifting especially when racing. But they can take a beating.

If you ever do a clutch job make sure you put in a 26 spline input shaft the factory 10 spline is the weak link when you start running over 500 to the wheels.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Basically when the car is started and sitting at idle you hear the motor running, and there is a whine/winding noise coming from somewhere this is in neutral with the ebrake on. Then if I step on the clutch to put the car into gear the noise goes away.

Have you beat on it lately? Raced it? Or missed a gear hard? Sounds to me like you had the same problem that I had. Last year I was at the track and accidently powershifted my car in reverse around 30-40 mph on takeoff none of us can figure out how they said my reverse lights cam on 2 times. The result of this was a bent 26 spline input shaft. Had to get a new one. If you still have the stock one it is very weak. The noise you describe is exactly what I had.

You need to PM Dana on here he is a trans expert and describe to him what is going on. Good Luck hope its not the shaft but you never know.

cobralover

Oct 19, 2007
i cant explain it other than a faint whining noise when the clutch is let off. as soon as i rest my foot on it about an 1/8 of the way it goes away. before i do anything id like to know exactly what im looking for. so keep the comments coming. i understand there not a lexus but im pretty sure this noise isnt normal, or something i should have to put up with day to day lol.

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
Basically when the car is started and sitting at idle you hear the motor running, and there is a whine/winding noise coming from somewhere this is in neutral with the ebrake on. Then if I step on the clutch to put the car into gear the noise goes away.

all that is ,is the internals of the tranny rotating because the clutch is engaged, when you push the clutch in the tranny looses its power source and stops rotating the noise goes away. mine does the same thing in nuetral with the car running..as soon as i push in the clutch its stops whistleing or howling or whatever you want to call it:biggthump

it is even more noticeable with an aftermarket shifter , because there is no rubber insulater

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Does anyone else have a slight noise that seems to come from the clutch. when i engage the clutch just a little it goes away. i was told some time ago that this is a normal thing with the stangs but its driving me f#$%@% nuts :mad:. id rather not have to spend more money on a clutch. with all the drivers in here someone has got to have a solution or answer to this :confused:

The TOB is beginning to fail. The whine is caused by the TOB riding on the PP fingers constantly. Noises, especially annoying noises, are not "normal".

If you still have the stock quadrant, you should replace it with an aftermarket piece. Steeda makes a Quick Release version that works well in the Cobras.

Get a locking firewall adjuster. BilletFlow or Fiore are both good pieces.

Get a clutch freeplay kit. This will keep the TOB away from the PP fingers and may prolong the life of the TOB if it isn't trashed already.

After all of these pieces are installed, make certain the clutch is adjusted correctly. This is something that cannot be accomplished with the factory linkage setup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info