• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Tuning Question

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
I am thinking of getting the Cobra pulled shortly here. But, I want to do it on a budget as later this winter I will be upgrading to a twin screw.
Now, my question is if I can get the car tuned without buying my own tuner. I know that I will need the tuner eventually, but now I do not have enough money to get the tuner and then a dyno tune as well. So, I was wondering if I can just buy the pulley, belt, spark plugs and then get the car tuned - instead of just buying a tuner and not being able to put the car on a dyno as well.
:cool:

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I am thinking of getting the Cobra pulled shortly here. But, I want to do it on a budget as later this winter I will be upgrading to a twin screw.
Now, my question is if I can get the car tuned without buying my own tuner. I know that I will need the tuner eventually, but now I do not have enough money to get the tuner and then a dyno tune as well. So, I was wondering if I can just buy the pulley, belt, spark plugs and then get the car tuned - instead of just buying a tuner and not being able to put the car on a dyno as well.

Later this winter you will be getting the twinscrew as in winter 08? If so and you want my honest opinion save your $$$ for the twin screw why waste $$$ getting the tune pulley etc... when you are shooting for the twinscrew down the road my $.02.....I say this because I was impatient went thru 3 smaller pullies, tunes, ported blower, dyno time... mucho $$$$$ and ended up going to a twin anyway:biggthump

cobralover

Oct 19, 2007
just from experience, any performance mustang shop usually custom tune your ride. they dont purchase any specific tuner. basically they burn the chip themselves, so to speak. but i have to agree with the other guys. dont waste money for nothing. also, even the smallest of upgrades like a cold air kit is suppose to be tuned to the car.

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL

There are three options to your question:

1. Buy a programmer with a canned tune (not a real good idea)
2. Have it custom tuned on a dyno, and a chip burned
3. Have it custom tuned on a dyno, and have the program upload via handhelt programmer.

IMO, option 1 is not safe.
Option 2, you will need a new chip burned every time you change your combination. (adding a twin screw etc.)
Option 3 is the best option.

Both options 2 & 3 require dyno time, but the programmer is reusable.

If you don't have the money right now, you should wait until you can do it right.

My .02

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
Later this winter you will be getting the twinscrew as in winter 08? If so and you want my honest opinion save your $$$ for the twin screw why waste $$$ getting the tune pulley etc... when you are shooting for the twinscrew down the road my $.02.....I say this because I was impatient went thru 3 smaller pullies, tunes, ported blower, dyno time... mucho $$$$$ and ended up going to a twin anyway:biggthump

+1 i was going to do a pulley, etc. the summer before my car went "under the knife" but im glad i didnt personally. dont know what your plans are but with projects like upgrading power adders, which means upgrading everything else that supports it... money becomes short, fast. at least it did for me! i hear ya though on needing that fix, if you do go that route you should be able to sell it when you upgrade and get some of your money back. when you are ready though, kurgan FTW!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info