• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Wheel Hop - What can I do?? new tires??? Straight axle the only cure?

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
My 03 cobra loves to wheel hop. It sounds like shit and I cant stand it anymore. It was bad before when it was stock, now it is really bad with a chip, cai and 2.76 pulley. I have all new goodyear eagle f1's on the car. Is there a softer street tire that will solve this. Is the only answer straight axle (which I do not want to do)??? Anyone having this problem?? Thanks

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Get you some IRS Polyuretine....something bushings for the IRS cradle and then get you some subframes connectors and make sure they are the ones that you weld on....and your problems are solved:biggthump....I had the same problem after those 2 items I was good to go. I would also like mentioned above get yourself the IRS brace:)

DR's will help but not solve the problem

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
I have the same problems with my car. Terrible wheel hop!
My car is a convertible with 2.76 pulley, CAI, exhaust, etc., and the stock springs are pretty soft.

The IRS brace is to help prevent tearing up the differential cover like CobraChris said.
I have sub-frame connectors and Nittos, and the hop has not gone away.

Next step for me is stiffer springs and some upgraded bushings.

Get you some IRS Polyuretine....something bushings for the IRS cradle

Ben, can you post a link to the product you are referring to?

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I have the same problems with my car. Terrible wheel hop!
My car is a convertible with 2.76 pulley, CAI, exhaust, etc., and the stock springs are pretty soft.

The IRS brace is to help prevent tearing up the differential cover like CobraChris said.
I have sub-frame connectors and Nittos, and the hop has not gone away.

Next step for me is stiffer springs and some upgraded bushings.

Ben, can you post a link to the product you are referring to?

Let me check....and i did swap out the springs for a set up Eibach ones all the way around it lower the car about I want to say about an inch or so and helped to balance out the car so when I gun it weight distrubution is more even and you dont get that ass end of the car bouncing down and then up hence wheel hop...that helped but didnt cure the wheel hop...the big helper is the bushings I shall return with the info:headbang:

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
I would first do some research on SVTperformance.com you want to read the post on the "red pill vs Blue pill" and go from there.

1) loose the goodyear's fast! If you drive in the rain? Nitto's! if you don't Mickeys. simple as that.

2) IRS brace won't aid or stop wheel hop! IRS brackets will help locate the IRS and reduce the movement under load. The bushings kits "ROCK" expensive and expensive to install! but they work.

3) AIRBAGS!! Laurel Mountain sells airbags for about $75 and takes about 30 minutes to install, no drilling or special tools needed! I have them! and I love'em!

I would start with bags and tires first! have them and I have no wheel hop to speak of, but I also have a coupe.

GL

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks guys. Just picked up my car from Hans (deans performance) and the car is lowered now with H&R springs. I do have a convert, and it is a little better being lowered, but still there for sure. I will try some Mickey T's....Thanks for all the advice guys! A++ for Hans, this guy knows these cars!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info