• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2003 Cobra Transmission whine

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Just wondering, do all the 6 speed transmissions make a whinning sound when engaged? If I have my windows up and radio off and the car is at an idle, when I let the clutch out in neutral it makes a whinning sound. It is also kind of noisey when it is in gear. When I put the clutch in, the sound is completly gone. Anyone else expirencing this????

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
When my car started whinning it turned out to be the planetary gear set which is spinning when the clutch is engaged in neutral, when you push the clutch in you realse that set and the whinning stops. Mine had to be rebuilt as a result, and I suggest Sutton for the repair. It's also cheap to beef it up while you're at it so have at it, I did.

cobralover

Oct 19, 2007
so your telling me that this faint whining noise has to do with the tranny and not the clutch? im going to be bringing the car in for some mods. should they know of this problem, because it sounds pretty common. ive also heard from a guy who worked at ford that this is normal and will do no harm. ill take all the advice you can give people.

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
Just wondering, do all the 6 speed transmissions make a whinning sound when engaged? If I have my windows up and radio off and the car is at an idle, when I let the clutch out in neutral it makes a whinning sound. It is also kind of noisey when it is in gear. When I put the clutch in, the sound is completly gone. Anyone else expirencing this????

I have the same noises comming from my noisey tranny too. But it works good and have never had any problems with it.:dunno:

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
so your telling me that this faint whining noise has to do with the tranny and not the clutch? im going to be bringing the car in for some mods. should they know of this problem, because it sounds pretty common. ive also heard from a guy who worked at ford that this is normal and will do no harm. ill take all the advice you can give people.

My car was very loud, and it only took about 100 miles to get ridiculous. Good luck. I am also running GM fluid now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info