• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need Help!!!

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
Well i had a shop do a compression test to make sure everything is alright before i start modding my car.

#1 - 148
#2 - 148
#3 - 148
#4 - 138
#5 - 148
#6 - 115
#7 - 125
#8 - 125

Does this mean i need to rebuild my engine or a new engine?
Also i got a quote from the shop for a factory rebuild 7k and to rebuild it above factory specs 8k-9k is this about right?

OKay here is the thing i bought my car brand new with only 9 miles on it (a little over 5 years ago). These are my mods.

JLT RAM AIR
Bassani X pipe with cats & Bassani cat back
LFP Dual Pass HE
LFP Radiator
Billet Flow Brace
Billet Flow Bracket (Welded)
MM Full Length SFC (Welded)
FR500 Replica's 18x9 275x35 up front & DD 18x10.5 295x35 rear with BFG KDW in all 4 corners

I never had it Pullied and never had a tune. engine is all stock. I only have 36,780 miles on her and i do oil changes every 2,500 miles. This car has never been to the track or anything and go figure my warranty with ford was just up about 4 months ago. My car runs just fine never over heated no leaks that i can see (like oil, gas, or coolant). I do think my throttle response is a little slower then it used to be other then that she runs great.

Not sure what to do is the next thing a leak down test or does that not matter at this point.

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
Those quotes are way to high, take it to another shop..
The compression does seem a little low, especially those #7 and 8 cylinders..
If you do a rebuild make sure you get the even flow cooling mod..

Thanks for the info. Just for the record not sure if this matters but i live in california. not sure if the prices vary that much but thought i would throw that out there.

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
what about 6?

what is exactly covered in the rebuild "over factory spec"?

Man i wish i knew maybe stronger/better parts? not sure. He told me too but i do not know enough about cars to repeat what he said unless i had it written down. is the price about right. From what i read on the internet/forums my whole engine # 1-8 is low.Is there anything else i could do? Remember i have never pullied this car and never had a tune except factory one. should i just ride it till the wheels fall off and get a 2.76 upper with 4 piece idler set & tune it?? then buy a brand new engine when this one blows or is it worth rebuilding it now.

I am just upset that this engine is like this. This is the ONLY reason i have not modded it is because i wanted it to last.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
From what i read on the internet/forums my whole engine # 1-8 is low.
The numbers don't necessarily matter, its the percentage differences between each cylinder that does. That being said, #6 seems a tad low, but not catastrophically low.

I'd also be very wary about trusting this shops compression test numbers if they are the same ones quoting you 7K for a factory rebuild and 8-9K for an upgrade. You can get a Billet Stroker ShortBlock for half of what those assholes are quoting you for a "rebuild above factory specs".

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
The numbers don't necessarily matter, its the percentage differences between each cylinder that does. That being said, #6 seems a tad low, but not catastrophically low.

I'd also be very wary about trusting this shops compression test numbers if they are the same ones quoting you 7K for a factory rebuild and 8-9K for an upgrade. You can get a Billet Stroker ShortBlock for half of what those assholes are quoting you for a "rebuild above factory specs".

That quote was for a stock short block, factory built heads both of em and install/rebuild. I think the short block was $3200-$3400 and both heads were $1700 then about $2k for all gaskets & rebuild/install. the 8k-9k was same thing with some upgraded/stronger parts. ( this shop is has a great reputation. I have NEVER heard anything bad about them.)

with that being said i am taking it to ford and having them do a Leak Down Test this friday (i think they are going to do a compression test as well).

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
The rule of thumb is you want the all the numbers to be within 10% of eachother.

Just by looking at the numbers, I can tell you that the engine wasn't fully warm because all the numbers are low. The engine has to be fully warmed and have the throttle fully opened

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
Did they tell you WHY? Was it just because you dont have the updated heads?

No they have not told me why. The car is still there. When i go to pick up the car i will ask them. BTW i did/do not have the tick.

If anyone know where i can get a Brand New LDC head cooling mod please let me know. Last time i have read they do not make them any more. Their website does not even work any more either. Thanks

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
okay the Verdict is in

This is word for word that is on my recipe from ford. No techs were there for me to ask any questions.

Compression in Cylinders. Check and advise leak down check and found

(leak down test)
Cylinder %
1 = 5%
2 = 18%
3 = 5%
4 = 5%
5 = 5%
6 = 20%
7 = 24%
8 = 5%

Cylinders 2,6 & 7 leaking Passed the exhaust valves Did not hear any leakage in the block or intake, Recommend installing new Head

(RECAP This is the compression NOT DONE BY FORD nor is it on the recipe)

Cylinder PSI

1 = 148
2 = 148
3 = 148
4 = 138
5 = 148
6 = 115
7 = 125
8 = 125

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info