• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

ported heads...

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE,

i am upgrasding to the crower stage 3 cams, crower springs and titanium clips.

is it worth it to just buy new ported heads like http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtmace.htm#1183(scroll down to the ford racing cnc ported heads, i know these are the wrong ones, just an illustration) or is there a better less expensive alternative?. i would love to get a package deal, ported heads, cams, springs all in one..

or just send mine out and install the cams in them. or...just dont port. i figured while it was out wtf..but am running short of cash too..

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
hmmmmmm, i am wondering the same thing. At what point is it necessary? I honestly think on a twin screw, it may not be worth it, but for other big adders like turbos that flow so many CFM, the benefits may be greater, but I'm still learning about our heads and their capabilities.

well, i will probably not do it then, i thought that would be the concensus.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Crower Cams might not be the best choice. Mine had mannufacturing errors.
Another Marauder ownenr has them and has broken the secondary exhaust sprockets, TWICE and Crower has fessed up to it being their fault due to MFG errors.
Buy the GT Supercar Cams. 450 lift, excellent idle for $430 shipped.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Crower Cams might not be the best choice. Mine had mannufacturing errors.
Another Marauder ownenr has them and has broken the secondary exhaust sprockets, TWICE and Crower has fessed up to it being their fault due to MFG errors.
Buy the GT Supercar Cams. 450 lift, excellent idle for $430 shipped.

hmmm...interesting, got a link.

bob, well talk after hans gets into it more. ill just send them out.

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
dont trust someone who sells retail like RPM, go with a REAL head guy.
FUCK!! 995 a pair for cams and 786 for springs and retainers! thats almost double lethals price of 1600 shipped! for 4 stage 3 cams, hi rev beehive springs and titanium retainers!

I know Lethal Performance is a well respected performance shop for 03/04 cobras...but I maybe wrong but I'm almost certain they outsource their head work....Fox Lake's main bus. is cylinder heads and has been for YEARS.....they do many of the top guys in NMRA's heads and they hold the fastest time in NMRA PRO 5.0 history with a MODULAR Head! 6.54@215(4V GT head)

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
I know Lethal Performance is a well respected performance shop for 03/04 cobras...but I maybe wrong but I'm almost certain they outsource their head work....Fox Lake's main bus. is cylinder heads and has been for YEARS.....they do many of the top guys in NMRA's heads and they hold the fastest time in NMRA PRO 5.0 history with a MODULAR Head! 6.54@215(4V GT head)

thats great greg, i know they know their shit, i was just comparing prices for parts, i really need to watch the cash on this build and i dont want to get fucked. i will look into them for the head work, will they install my cams/springs if i supply the parts? nothing wrong with trying to save 1500 or so right?

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
thats great greg, i know they know their shit, i was just comparing prices for parts, i really need to watch the cash on this build and i dont want to get fucked. i will look into them for the head work, will they install my cams/springs if i supply the parts? nothing wrong with trying to save 1500 or so right?

I believe those prices are upgrades to the Porting (CNC'd)price when sending in your current stock heads...they use your actual heads not as cores......I'm not sure if they will do it when suppling the parts...Give Ron a call and get a quote...he is the owner.....tell him your a customers of Bobs...I'm sure he can take care of you......

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005

Are the prices from lethal them just selling you the cams and springs....not installed?

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Slash, talk to Ron at foxlake. I dont want to see you do it 2 times... It's funny how people dont have enough time or money to do it right the first time, but have enough time and money to do it twice after the cheap way doesnt work out. To this point, you have done things properly and you HAVE RESULTS!!

BTW, i had a car at the dyno at the beginning of the summer with cams and ported heads and a whipple 2.3. With 13psi, it made 655rwhp :)

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Are the prices from lethal them just selling you the cams and springs....not installed?

yes, according to fox laxes price list, it may be for the install, but if they install the stockers included in the price, i cant see crowers bieng 1500 more? ill just call them, thanks for all the info though.

Slash, talk to Ron at foxlake. I dont want to see you do it 2 times... It's funny how people dont have enough time or money to do it right the first time, but have enough time and money to do it twice after the cheap way doesnt work out. To this point, you have done things properly and you HAVE RESULTS!!

BTW, i had a car at the dyno at the beginning of the summer with cams and ported heads and a whipple 2.3. With 13psi, it made 655rwhp :)

i cant afford to do it 2x, thats why i was looking for input. ill call him tomorrow, i have not cheaped out to this point, and im not going to start now.

and after all this i better make more than 655rwp (i know it was a 2.3! @13 psi!)

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
yes, according to fox laxes price list, it may be for the install, but if they install the stockers included in the price, i cant see crowers bieng 1500 more? ill just call them, thanks for all the info though.

np......I can just see the post now in the spring.......SLASH goes 9's@Byron Dragway today!! New Best....lol:)

Who ever said this racing thing was cheap!!:cool2:

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005

i cant afford to do it 2x, thats why i was looking for input. ill call him tomorrow, i have not cheaped out to this point, and im not going to start now.

and after all this i better make more than 655rwp (i know it was a 2.3! @13 psi!)

honestly, i dont care if it makes 500rwhp... if it goes 9s, thats what matters!

Sep 17, 2005
send your heads to Foxlake or a reputable head porter... Head porting is NOT important with a turbo, but is absolutely KEY to a blower motor... dont trust someone who sells retail like RPM, go with a REAL head guy.

do you have any ballpark figures on price for a ported head job from there Bob? and is it also necessary to get cams if you get ported heads? and what cams woudl you recomend with the ported heads. thanks.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
do you have any ballpark figures on price for a ported head job from there Bob? and is it also necessary to get cams if you get ported heads?

i am unsure of what Ron gets for modular head porting.. He has a few stages, so the price may vary..

as far as cams are concerned, if you want to take advantage of a ported head with more flow at higher lift, new cams (ground specifically for a combination) is KEY!

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Hey Mike, I'm just wondering if you have the revised 05 heads with 9 spark plug threads or the originals with 4 plug threads?

Hey Bob or anyone that knows, I was wondering if the original heads are suitable candidates for porting and a high boost application? Is it safe to only have 4 plug threads on a high boost car? Or is it recommended to get the revised head? Is there any way to ad plug threads without replacing the heads entirely?

Thanks

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
gettinhead.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info